How to Make Yerba Mate In a Grapefruit

Status
Not open for further replies.

JM

Puritan Board Doctor
[video=youtube;e7TZBerbsqU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7TZBerbsqU[/video]

Last edited:
A difference of opinion is what makes horse racing and missionaries. - Will Rogers

What was that? I am just all sorts of confused by this thread. At first I thought someone was getting a yerba to actually mate (you know, baby makin') inside of a grapefruit, which is uncomfortable when I have no idea what a yerba is. Then I see this video which looks like he's making herb soup inside of fruit. Buuuut if Mr. Underwood does it, I'm willing to give it a try. ;)

Yerba Mate (YAIR-bah mah-TAY): 1. A species of holly native to South America. 2. A tea-like beverage made from steeping yerba mate leaves in hot water. It's especially popular in Argentina.

Grapefruit (GRAIP-froot): 1. A large citrus fruit completely inedible without many spoonfuls of sugar, but then quite yummy. 2. A quirky container for yerba mate (it seems).

What was that? I am just all sorts of confused by this thread. At first I thought someone was getting a yerba to actually mate (you know, baby makin') inside of a grapefruit, which is uncomfortable when I have no idea what a yerba is. Then I see this video which looks like he's making herb soup inside of fruit. Buuuut if Mr. Underwood does it, I'm willing to give it a try. ;)

I got hooked on the stuff when I was in Argentina back in college. It is different from tea, to which it is always compared. It is actually very good for you. It is also a very social drink in many places in South America. It used to be hard to get in the States, but lately I can find it in many tiendas in the area; good blends, too. There are as many varieties and styles as there are teas. They each have differences in flavour and 'kick'. Some of them are subtle, others not so much ;)

P.S. The 'tea bag' yerba mate drinks are not the same as drinking from the traditional gourd. The flavours are not as good, and it wastes the mate. One filling of a gourd can last all day. It is pretty economical stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back