Yerba Mate

Status
Not open for further replies.

JM

Puritan Board Doctor
Anyone drinking Yerba Mate?

yerbamate.JPG

It’s a very earthy tasting drink. I picked up a bag of loose Mate but I don’t have a bombilla or a gourd, I tried using a tea infuser and a regular cup and it seems to work well.

Any tips on making Mate?

Thanks.

Yerba mate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yerba Mate - TeaWiki
Yerba Mate Information

Heidi drinks it all the time. She found a place where by ordering so much online they her a free contemporary bombilla (a straw with a filter on the end). So she doesn't worry about keeping the mate contained.

I remember occasionally taking a sip when my dad would make his (he had the whole authentic Uruguayan setup from when he lived there) when I was little.

It is supposed to be very good for you.

After finding nothing but sub-par tea in my area I started looking for something else to drink and found Mate. It's consistently good. I've heard it is supposed to be good for you but I drink it because I enjoy the earthy, oaky, woody taste.

Each infusion of Mate contains:
Vitamins: A, C, E, B1, B2, Niacin (B3), B5, B Complex
Minerals: Calcium, Manganese, Iron, Selenium, Potassium, Magnesium, Phosphorus
Additional Compounds: Fatty Acids, Chlorophyll, Flavonols, Polyphenols, Trace Minerals, Antioxidants, Pantothenic Acid and 15 Amino Acids.

According to Dr. Mowrey, Director of Mountainwest Institute of Herbal Sciences, one group of investigators from the Pasteur Institute and the Paris Scientific Society concluded that Yerba Mate contains "practically all of the vitamins necessary to sustain life." They focused especially on Pantothenic Acid, remarking that it is "rare to find a plant with so much of this significant and vital nutrient. . . It is indeed difficult to find a plant in any area of the world equal to Mate in nutritional value."

In addition, results from a study done by researchers at the University of Madrid assert a high content of mineral elements, especially K, Mg, and Mn, in Mate. They considered those findings "to be of great relevance" to the nutritional value of Mate infusions.

What does it do? Is it like a caffeine buzz, or just something warm in the morning? I'm always looking for strange things to grow in my greenhouse.

It gives you a buzz like coffee but there isn't a down feeling like you get after a coffee buzz. Mate does contain caffeine.

[video=youtube;0w2TzMR5XzM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w2TzMR5XzM&feature=related[/video]

[video=youtube;r4nJUrn4Qgo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4nJUrn4Qgo&feature=related[/video]

Last edited:
Well, there is some dispute about the caffeine, I understand. Certainly Heidi's reaction to the caffeine/matteine (sp?) in mate is wildly different from her reaction to green tea, black tea, or coffee.

[video=youtube;4YCNt577xRc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YCNt577xRc[/video]

When I saw the photo I knew what is was. I had Brazilian friends in seminary who drank it.

I bought mine today!!

After seeing this post I went to my local organic food store and found my Yerba Mate. I drink coffee daily and tea every once in awhile. Well after a few glass so far this is a special treat... Thanks guys!

I've been using a cotton tea infuser and found that it works well. It cost me $2 bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back