How to read more efficiently?

Status
Not open for further replies.

clawrence9008

Puritan Board Freshman
Something I have really been struggling with recently is being able to read decent amounts of Scripture/theology books in an efficient manner and shorter amount of time. Most days I set out to read around 3-4 chapters of Scripture, as well as something from the Puritans and studying the WCF. However, I am seldom able to get through all of these things that I desire to read. It sometimes can take me almost an hour to read one chapter of Scripture! While I do read slowly to ensure that I am grasping the meaning of the text (especially in the larger context of the chapter, book, and entire revelation of Scripture), I also seem to struggle with an ADHD-like inability to focus when I'm reading. I frequently find myself losing attention or zoning out, which makes it take even longer (I have the same problem when trying to focus on my lectures and assignments in school). It's quite frustrating, especially when I have a list of books I want to read that is a mile high, and I want to get through all of the Scripture that I have set out to read as well. I'm afraid that this could hinder me when I pursue seminary and (if that is indeed what the Lord has called me to) future ministry.

Any advice for how to read more efficiently, while still making sure I get everything out of it?
 
Also unsure if this fits better in The Pilgrim's Progress forum; if it does, could one of the moderators please move it?
 
Lord willing, I will do an article about this later. Short answer:

* Outside of Scripture reading, aim for 25 pages a day. Like interest, the knowledge compounds.
* I used to take notes on google docs. That lets you search engine your knowledge. I still do that, but now I am convinced of mind mapping.
* I know it sounds cliche, but master the fundamentals first. That lets you build and expand your knowledge. 20 years ago I wasted a lot of energy on stupid controversies involving eschatology, Federal Vision, and theonomy. I failed to master the basics in the Great Tradition.

 
I think different things work for different people, depending on the structure of your mind, so maybe try different things until you find what works for you.

I happened to be talking with a high-powered, behind-the-scenes mover and shaker for big Eva once (no, I don't normally hang out with guys like that; it's a long story), and he was telling me about how for him, reading was like an architecture, and he never read whole books. I forget his exact technique, but he would read parts of it and--once he saw the "shape"--kind of fill in the rest.

Sounded like a really interesting method, I'd guess utilizing spatial logic and memory to make for more efficient reading and memory; but perhaps it wouldn't work for everyone.

I've never tried. I'm happy to read very slowly and inefficiently--but thoroughly. I can definitely see the advantages though.
 
I have the same problem with scripture. My solution is not for everybody, but it has its pros and cons. The method goes as follows:

1. Purchase the Bible of your choice; I prefer a Super-Giant Print NKJV used only for devotional reading.
2. Purchase the "Non-Dramatized" Audio version of your respective translation.
3. Divide your Bible up into your choice of sections based on equal pagination, dependent on your goals for yearly reading. For instance, 30 sections will be 2 hours a day, 60 sections will be an hour a day, 120 sections will be 30 minutes a day. This is reading the Bible cover to cover; 12, 6, or 3 times a year.
4. Use the free Audio Editor "Audacity" to create your respective Audio sections based on the text within your equal print sections.
5. Adjust speed and tempo to bring all audio within the time frame of your allotted section; for instance, if you chose 120 sections, each section would need to be 30 minutes or less.
6. During your devotional time, listen to the scriptures as you read along. This will not only give you cadence to what you are reading; but it keeps you attentive, and also provides a daily goal, that if faithfully followed; can get you through the text at significant rate & repetition.

My take is not spending so much time "while" reading trying to chew on each text, but trying by the multitude of times read, start memorizing large parts of scripture, and being able to chew on it whether the text is in front of me or not. I could be wrong, but I see this as my way of Prov. 7:2-3. Using this method, I have read the Bible cover to cover about 6 or 7 times in the last 3 years since the Lord put it on my mind. Before, I had only read the Bible cover to cover 2 times in about 13 years of being a Christian. This year, because of my Puritan editing, I went, sadly, sometimes a week or so without reading scripture; and have already finished going through the Bible once this year about 2 months ago. I am in 1 Kings my second time this year.

Now the cons. Because the Bible is broken up in such sections; and because you know if you just read it an hour a day for 2 months, and because most of Christianity promotes the idea that going through the Bible once a year is standard; it is easy to fall into feeling content once that "once a year" is complete. It sucks because you can have such a high ambition of 12, 6 or 3 times a year; but not really feel bad if at least you did it once. So you have to constantly drive yourself. But I have found this method to work the best for me, because Satan used to so badly attack me with drowsiness when I would read; but now because the audio version is going with it, I dont really have this problem anymore.

Since the times are not too bad, for most an hour, or 30 minutes will be standard; you can view it as totally devotional. Then with the 23 or 23 1/2 hours left in your day, you can do deeper research on the text if desired.

I would be a hypocrite if I told you that I am perfect with this, even though in theory it is a good way to digest text. But I have a real problem with prioritization that I am currently battling and prayerfully asking for grace for God to put somethings second place, which I have sinfully made first.
 
Last edited:
I think different things work for different people, depending on the structure of your mind, so maybe try different things until you find what works for you.

I happened to be talking with a high-powered, behind-the-scenes mover and shaker for big Eva once (no, I don't normally hang out with guys like that; it's a long story), and he was telling me about how for him, reading was like an architecture, and he never read whole books. I forget his exact technique, but he would read parts of it and--once he saw the "shape"--kind of fill in the rest.

Sounded like a really interesting method, I'd guess utilizing spatial logic and memory to make for more efficient reading and memory; but perhaps it wouldn't work for everyone.

I've never tried. I'm happy to read very slowly and inefficiently--but thoroughly. I can definitely see the advantages though.
In a lot of modern evangelical books, or even just modern self help books, all you have to do is read the last page of the chapter...
 
* I know it sounds cliche, but master the fundamentals first. That lets you build and expand your knowledge. 20 years ago I wasted a lot of energy on stupid controversies involving eschatology, Federal Vision, and theonomy. I failed to master the basics in the Great Tradition.

Was gonna say, memorize the Shorter Catechism. Great way to master the fundamentals in theology. It gives one a structure to refer to when reading theological material.
 
he was telling me about how for him, reading was like an architecture, and he never read whole books. I forget his exact technique, but he would read parts of it and--once he saw the "shape"--kind of fill in the rest.

I was taught that there are different degrees/levels of "reading a book" and these depend upon how valuable the book subject/argument is to you and what you want to get out of the book. Some books are very deep and you will spend many hours/days reading and re-reading and making notes - I underline and erasable-highlight these books and add headlines/summaries in erasable pens. I copy down the Contents and make outlines in Google Docs with key quotes and page numbers.

But many other books are somewhat light reading and are full of mostly "life stories" that can be skimmed or skipped, while time is spent on the main points. Example: If I want to just get the summary/bare bones of a book, I might set a time limit like 30 mins and then RUSH read the book by carefully reading the Contents to comprehend the structure/argument and then speed read the first chapter (10 mins), skim the middle chapters (5 mins) with the contents still in mind and then read the last chapter (15 mins).

Speed reading: As you read, you can use a ruler/bookmarker or medium yellow post-it on each line as you read and push yourself to read faster. Using a guide to block lines below what you are reading forces you to focus on what is above the post-it. And as you do this, your eyes will eventually focus only on the middle of the page and "auto-read/fill" the edges on the left and right.

1703476320602.png
 
Oh, one other tip... I go to Amazon and read the 1 and 2 star reviews on many books. It gives you a good idea of what the book is really like and whether it is even worth your time. You can also read GREAT summaries of the book if you skim the 4 and 5 star reviews. For example, check out the reviews on "How to Read a Book" and you basically don't even have to read this book anymore: https://www.amazon.com/How-Read-Boo...ng=UTF8&qid=1703476218&sr=8-1#customerReviews

Google or Amazon search the book and you'll also find people have done "summaries" or reviews and these basically tell you all you need.

Below are key excerpts from the book that I found particularly insightful:

1- "Perhaps we know more about the world than we used to. and insofar as knowledge is prerequisite to understanding, that is all to the good. But knowledge is not as much a prerequisite to understanding as is commonly supposed. We do not have to know everything about something in order to understand it; too many facts are often as much of an obstacle to understanding as too few. There is a sense in which we moderns are inundated with facts to the detriment of understanding."

2- "Thinking is only one part of the activity of learning. One must also use one's senses and imagination. One must observe, and remember, and construct imaginatively what cannot be observed. There is, again, a tendency to stress the role of these activities in the process of unaided discovery and to forget or minimize their place in the process of being taught through reading or listening. For example, many people assume that though a poet must use his imagination in writing a poem they do not have to use their imagination in reading it. The art of reading, in short, includes all of the same skills that are involved in the art of unaided discovery: keenness of observation, readily available memory, range of imagination, and, of course, an intellect trained in analysis and reflection. The reason for this is that reading in this sense is discovery, too— although with help instead of without it."

3- "The first level of reading we will call Elementary Reading. Other names might be rudimentary reading, basic reading or initial reading; any one of these terms serves to suggest that as one masters this level one passes from nonliteracy to at least beginning literacy. In mastering this level, one learns the rudiments of the art of reading, receives basic training in reading, and acquires initial reading skills. We prefer the name elementary reading, however, because this level of reading is ordinarily learned in elementary school...At this level of reading, the question asked of the reader is "What does the sentence say?" That could be conceived as a complex and difficult question, of course. We mean it here, however, in its simplest sense."

4- "The second level of reading we will call Inspectional Reading. It is characterized by its special emphasis on time When reading at this level, the student is allowed a set time to complete an assigned amount of reading. He might be allowed fifteen minutes to read this book, for instance or even a book twice as long...Whereas the question that is asked at the first level is "What does the sentence say?" the question typically asked at this level is "What is the book about?" That is a surface question; others of a similar nature are "What is the structure of the book or "What are its parts?""

5- "The third level of reading we will call Analytical Reading. It is both a more complex and a more systematic activity than either of the two levels of reading discussed so far. Depending on the difficulty of the text to be read, it makes more or less heavy demands on the reader. Analytical reading is thorough reading, complete reading. or good reading—the best reading you can do. If inspectional reading is the best and most complete reading that is possible given a limited time, then analytical reading is the best and most complete reading that is possible given unlimited time...On this level of reading, the reader grasps a book—the metaphor is apt—and works at it until the book becomes his own. Francis Bacon once remarked that "some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested." Reading a book analytically is chewing and digesting it."

6- "The fourth and highest level of reading we will call Syntopical Reading. It is the most complex and systematic type of reading of all. It makes very heavy demands on the reader, even if the materials he is reading are themselves relatively easy and unsophisticated. Another name for this level might be comparative reading. When reading syntopically, the reader reads many books, not just one, and places them in relation to one another and to a subject about which they all revolve. But mere comparison of texts is not enough. Syntopical reading involves more. With the help of the books read, the svntopical reader is able to construct an analysis of the subject that may not be in any of he hooks. It is obvious, therefore, that syntopical reading is the most active and effortful kind of reading."

7- "Every book should be read no more slowly than it deserves, and no more quickly than you can read it with satisfaction and comprehension. In any event, the speed at which they read, be it fast or slow, is but a fractional part of most people's problem with reading. Skimming or pre-reading a book is always a good idea; it is necessary when you do not know, as is often the case, whether the book you have in hand is worth reading carefully. You will find that out by skimming it. It is generally desirable to skim even a book that you intend to read carefully, to get some idea of its form and structure."

8- "The first stage of inspectional reading-the stage we have called systematic skimming—serves to prepare the analytical reader to answer the questions that must be asked during the first stage of that level. Systematic skimming, in other words. anticipates the comprehension of a book's structure. And the second stage of inspectional reading—the stage we have called superficial reading—serves the reader when he comes to the second stage of reading at the analytical level. Superficial reading is the first necessary step in the interpretation of a book's contents."

9- "The art of reading on any level above the elementary consists in the habit of asking the right questions in the right order. There are four main questions you must ask about any book. 1. What is the book about as a whole?...2. What is being said in detail, and how?...Is the book true, in whole or part? WHAT OF IT? If the book has given you information. you must ask about its significance. Why does the author think it is important to know these things? Is it important to you to know them? And if the book has not only informed you, but also enlightened you, it is necessary to seek further enlightenment by asking what else follows, what is further implied or suggested."

10- "It is hard to learn to read well. Not only is reading, especially analytical reading, a very complex activity-much more complex than skiing; it is also much more of a mental activity. The beginning skier must think of physical acts that he can later forget and perform almost automatically. It is relatively easy to think of and be conscious of physical acts. It is much harder to think of mental acts, as the beginning analytical reader must do; in a sense, he is thinking about his own thoughts. Most of us are unaccustomed to doing this. Nevertheless, it can be done, and a person who does it cannot help learning to read much better."

11- "Teachability is often confused with subservience. A person is wrongly thought to be teachable if he is passive and pliable. On the contrary, teachability is an extremely active virtue. No one is really teachable who does not freely exercise his power of independent judgment. He can be trained, perhaps, but not taught. The most teachable reader is, therefore, the most critical. He is the reader who finally responds to a book by the greatest effort to make up his own mind on the matters the author has discussed."

12- "The First Stage of Analytical Reading: Rules for Finding What a Book Is About 1. Classify the book according to kind and subject matter. 2. State what the whole book is about with the utmost brevity. 3. Enumerate its major parts in their order and relation and outline these parts as you have outlined the whole. 4. Define the problem or problems the author has tried to solve. The Second Stage of Analytical Reading: Rules for Interpreting a Book's Contents 5. Come to terms with the author by interpreting his key words. 6. Grasp the author's leading propositions by dealing with ^is most important sentences. 7. Know the author's arguments, by finding them in, or constructing them out of, sequences of sentences. 8. Determine which of his problems the author has solved. and which he has not; and of the latter, decide which the author knew he had failed to solve. The Third Stage of Analytical Reading: Rules for Criticizing a Book as a Communication of Knowledge A. General Maxims of Intellectual Etiquette 9. Do not begin criticism until you have completed your outline and your interpretation of the book. (Do not say you agree, disagree, or suspend judgment, until you can say 1 understand.") 10. Do not disagree disputatiously or contentiously. 11. Demonstrate that you recognize the difference between knowledge and mere personal opinion by presenting good reasons for any critical judgment you make. B. Special Criteria for Points of Criticism 12. Show wherein the author is uninformed. 13. Show wherein the author is misinformed. 14. Show wherein the author is illogical. 15. Show wherein the author's analysis or account is incomplete. Note: Of these last four, the first three are criteria for disagreement. Failing in all of these, you must agree, at least in part, although you may suspend judgment on the whole, in the light of the last point."

13- " Few people have ever read any book in this ideal manner, and those who have, probably read very few books this way. The ideal remains, however, the measure of achievement. You are a good reader to the degree in which you approximate it."

14- "The great writers have always been great readers, but that does not mean that they read all the books that, in their day, were listed as the indispensable ones. In many cases, they read fewer books than are now required in most of our colleges, but what they did read, they read well. Because they had mastered these books, they became peers with their authors. They were entitled to become authorities in their own right. In the natural course of events, a good student frequently becomes a teacher, and so, too, a good reader becomes an author. Our intention here is not to lead you from reading to writing. It is rather to remind you that one approaches the ideal of good reading by applying the rules we have described in the reading of a single book, and not by trying? to become superficially acquainted with a larger number. There are, of course, many books worth reading well. There is a much larger number that should be only inspected. To become well-read, in every sense of the word, one must know how to use whatever skill one possesses with discrimination—by reading every book according to its merits."

15- "History is the story of what led up to now. It is the present that interests us—that and the future. The future will be partly determined by the present. Thus, you can learn something about the future, too, from a historian, even from one who like Thucydides lived more than two thousand years ago. Let us sum up these two suggestions for reading history. The first is: if you can, read more than one history of an event or period that interests you. The second is: read a history not only to learn what really happened at a particular time and place in the past, but also to learn the way men act in all times and places, especially now."

16- "Thus the most important thing to know, when reading any report of current happenings, is who is writing the report. What is involved here is not so much an acquaintance with the reporter himself as with the kind of mind he has. The various sorts of filter-reporters fall into groups. To understand what kind of filter our reporter's mind is, we must ask a series of questions about it. This amounts to asking a series of questions about it. This amounts to asking a series of questions about any material dealing with current events. The questions are these: 1. What does the author want to prove? 2. Whom does he want to convince? 3. What special knowledge does he assume? 4. What Special language does he use? 5. Does he really know what he is talking about?"

17- "A curious paradox is involved in any project of syntopical reading. Although this level of reading is defined as the reading of two or more books on the same subject, which implies that the identification of the subject matter occurs before the reading begins, it is in a s sense true that the identification of the subject matter must follow the reading, not precede it. In the case of love, you might have to read a dozen or a hundred works before you could decide what you were reading about. And when you had done that, you might have to conclude that half of the works you had read were not on the subject at all."

18- "As we have seen, there are two main stages of syntopical reading. One is preparatory, and the other is syntopical reading proper. Let us write out all of these steps for review.

I. Surveying the Field Preparatory to Syntopical Reading 1. Create a tentative bibliography of your subject by recourse to library, catalogues, advisors, and bibliographies in books. 2. Inspect all of the books on the tentative bibliography to ascertain which are germane to your subject, and also to acquire a clearer idea of the subject. These two steps are not, strictly speaking, chronologically distinct; that is, the two steps have an effect on each other, with the second, in particular, serving to modify the first.

II. Syntopical Reading of the Bibliography Amassed in Stage I 1. Inspect the books already identified as relevant to your subject in Stage I in order to find the most relevant passages. 2. Bring the authors to terms by constructing a neutral terminology of the subject that all, or the great majority, of the authors can be interpreted as employing, whether they actually employ the words or not. 3. Establish a set of neutral propositions for all of the authors by framing a set of questions to which all or most of the authors can be interpreted as giving answers, whether they actually treat the questions explicitly or not. 4. Define the issues, both major and minor ones, by ranging the opposing answers of authors to the various questions on one side of an issue or another. You should remember that an issue does not always exist explicitly between or among authors, but that it sometimes has to be constructed by interpretation of the authors' views on matters that may not have been their primary concern. 5. Analyze the discussion by ordering the questions and issues in such a way as to throw maximum light on the subject. More general issues should precede less general ones, and relations among issues should be clearly indicated. Note: Dialectical detachment or objectivity should, ideally. be maintained throughout. One way to insure this is always to accompany an interpretation of an author's views on an issue with an actual quotation from his text."

19- "If the book belongs to the second class of books to which we referred before, you find, on returning to it, that there was less there than you remembered. The reason, of course, is that yourself have grown in the meantime. Your mind is fuller. your understanding greater. The book has not changed, but you have. Such a return is inevitably disappointing. But ff the book belongs to the highest class—the very small number of inexhaustible books-you discover on returning that the hook seems to have grown with you. You see new things in it-whole sets of new things—that you did not see before. Your previous understanding of the book is not invalidated (assuming that you read it well the first time); it is just as true as it ever was, and in the same ways that it was true before. But now it is true in still other ways, too."

20- "Reading well, which means reading actively, is thus not only a good in itself, nor is it merely a means to advancement in our work or career. It also serves to keep our minds alive and growing."
 
While reading, I text myself page numbers and, as necessary, concisely worded "triggers" intended to call a particular thought I'm having back to mind if and when I ever return to the reference. Once I'm done with a book, I email myself all the texts.

This works particularly well when I plan to write a book review but don't want to forget the earlier material in the book as well as when I want to remember the material in general if I end up reading something else once I'm done with that book.

EDIT: The above might sound like it's more directed towards effective reading rather than more efficient reading (by which I mean retention vs. speed). However, what it should do is alleviate concerns or anxieties that you won't remember what you read. When you have such concerns or anxieties, you might find yourself reading quite slowly in an attempt to retain more information. In my opinion, it's more useful and less stressful to simply have a callback, so to speak.
 
Last edited:
* Outside of Scripture reading, aim for 25 pages a day. Like interest, the knowledge compounds.

Seeking an opinion: Do you think it's helpful to read "just to read," ie. be concerned to get in 25 pages without too much regard to comprehension or retention?

I could read four systematic theology volumes before the end of the year, or I could read one closely.

I try to prioritize retention, but if you're going to do the Buffett thing of 500 pages/day you are not going to retain much, and you have to somewhat depend on the subconscious to work the compounding magic. That seems counterintuitive, but maybe that works. Language acquisition seems to work that way.
 
Seeking an opinion: Do you think it's helpful to read "just to read," ie. be concerned to get in 25 pages without too much regard to comprehension or retention?

I could read four systematic theology volumes before the end of the year, or I could read one closely.

I try to prioritize retention, but if you're going to do the Buffett thing of 500 pages/day you are not going to retain much, and you have to somewhat depend on the subconscious to work the compounding magic. That seems counterintuitive, but maybe that works. Language acquisition seems to work that way.

Always prioritize retention over speed. But 25 pages for me isn't that much. The Buffett thing seems overkill, and it is, but there is something else going on. If you are already familiar with the subject, you will retain more and read faster.
 
Always prioritize retention over speed. But 25 pages for me isn't that much. The Buffett thing seems overkill, and it is, but there is something else going on. If you are already familiar with the subject, you will retain more and read faster.

Maybe that's it. The more you know the less steep any learning curves you encounter. You'll read plenty that you already know, though perhaps from different angles; and the intuition that comes from a thorough knowledge base will help in processing new material.

And like weight-lifting, the better exercised your mind the more you can naturally take in.
 
Something I have really been struggling with recently is being able to read decent amounts of Scripture/theology books in an efficient manner and shorter amount of time. Most days I set out to read around 3-4 chapters of Scripture, as well as something from the Puritans and studying the WCF. However, I am seldom able to get through all of these things that I desire to read. It sometimes can take me almost an hour to read one chapter of Scripture! While I do read slowly to ensure that I am grasping the meaning of the text (especially in the larger context of the chapter, book, and entire revelation of Scripture), I also seem to struggle with an ADHD-like inability to focus when I'm reading. I frequently find myself losing attention or zoning out, which makes it take even longer (I have the same problem when trying to focus on my lectures and assignments in school). It's quite frustrating, especially when I have a list of books I want to read that is a mile high, and I want to get through all of the Scripture that I have set out to read as well. I'm afraid that this could hinder me when I pursue seminary and (if that is indeed what the Lord has called me to) future ministry.

Any advice for how to read more efficiently, while still making sure I get everything out of it?
I, too, struggle with this. I have found that when it comes to Scripture, listening to an audio version with a voice of a narrator that you enjoy helps. In addition, dramatized versions can help. With regard to books that are not audible, many are, having a background noise on very low volume does help one focus.
 
I, too, struggle with this. I have found that when it comes to Scripture, listening to an audio version with a voice of a narrator that you enjoy helps. In addition, dramatized versions can help. With regard to books that are not audible, many are, having a background noise on very low volume does help one focus.
Agree with this 100%. When I sit to read a book, must have the classical, binaural, or nature sounds in the headphones.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top