How would you respond to these statements?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JM

Puritan Board Doctor
In conversation I often hear the following two statements, "yah, but systematic/Calvinism/Reformed theology puts God in a box!"

Or, "Calvinists may win debates but that doesn't mean Calvinism is true!"

Any thoughts on how to respond to someone who makes these kinds of statements? They seem to contagious, I have heard more then one person from my church make the above statements....

Thank you.

jm

To statement number one: Tell me what you think about _____ (a particular theological subject). When they respond in any way, you say something like..."Oooooo, see, you just put God in a box too!"

To statement number two: I would stick my tongue out and taunt them...neh, nuh, neh, nuh, boo-boo! (Seriously, I would probably be firm, and say, "No, Scripture supports it, and that is why Calvinism is right. I win debates because of my superior intellect."

In conversation I often hear the following two statements, "yah, but systematic/Calvinism/Reformed theology puts God in a box!"

Any thoughts on how to respond to someone who makes these kinds of statements? They seem to contagious, I have heard more then one person from my church make the above statements....

Thank you.

jm

I don't think there's a universal put-down for such statements, or one that will make them reconsider what they've said. The problem is especially borne out by the 2nd statement, which indicates quite clearly and with rather stark honesty that in fact they don't care if it makes more logical sense and whether the Arminian position is full of holes - they are steadfastly holding to their core belief that "God is a gentleman" and that in order for salvation to be "fair" everyone must have the same opportunity, and that sort of thing. Because of that, they reject Calvinism out of the gate.

Rather than find some particular response, I would go straight to the presuppositionalist toolbox and address their primary core beliefs - what is it that they believe about salvation and the will of man and fairness - what is it that they hold to above all things? What drives every other belief for them? What principle is at root? It will either be something non-Scriptural, or it will be a statement taken out of Scriptural context (like "God is love" or John 3:16) You'll have to plan on starting a LONG discussion... because this cannot be a brief one.

As to the "Calvinism puts God in a box" thing, they ought to be shown that their own belief system puts God in just as much of a box as they think Calvinism does. Arminianism binds God to the will of man and limits (nay, destroys!) His sovereignty. He is bound to the desire of man to make life "fair for all".

Further, in a sense it is true that Calvinism puts God in a box - it's called Scripture. Scripture is God's revelation of Himself and His attributes, beyond which we may not, and indeed must not speculate. God has revealed Himself to us, and we cannot allow our personal feelings, preferences, or sentiment for those who do not know God to give God properties that He has not revealed Himself to have.

What I would say...

You have to "put God in a box" (it feels blasphemous to write that), otherwise the term "God" becomes meaningless. The phrase means nothing more than to define the concept of God you have.

In other words,, everyone "puts God in a box". The box may contain just a few beliefs, or many, but it is still a box.

No, but it means that there is no good reason for rejecting calvinism and good reasons to reject arminianism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back