I Have a Confession

Status
Not open for further replies.

LawrenceU

Puritan Board Doctor
I love cornbread.

There it is out. I was sitting here thinking about the day old cornbread that I had in a glass of buttermilk this morning for breakfast. I'm fairly certain that manna is cornbread, and that food that the ravens carried to Elijah-cornbread, the loaves in the lad's dinner bucket-had to be cornbread.

Now, not just any cornbread mind you. Some of what has been called cornbread today is not really cornbread. It has more flour than cornmeal. It has sugar in it. (A bit of sugar is okay, but not enough to make it sweet.) I especially like hot water cornbread. Mmmmm. . .

I'm thinking of doing a paper on the roll of cornbread in the development of Western Culture.

I love cornbread.

There it is out. I was sitting here thinking about the day old cornbread that I had in a glass of buttermilk this morning for breakfast. I'm fairly certain that manna is cornbread, and that food that the ravens carried to Elijah-cornbread, the loaves in the lad's dinner bucket-had to be cornbread.

Now, not just any cornbread mind you. Some of what has been called cornbread today is not really cornbread. It has more flour than cornmeal. It has sugar in it. (A bit of sugar is okay, but not enough to make it sweet.) I especially like hot water cornbread. Mmmmm. . .

:ditto: Cornbread and milk...my stomach is growling, and I have 3 hours of class left after this break!

We had that Monday night Randy. Wish you could have been here. My father-in-law is from Indiana and Teresa was born there so that is a regular offering on our menu. We had her Dad over. We put the beans and ham over the corn bread and then nearly drown it in maple syrup and sometimes some chopped raw onions.

My eight year old daughter could eat corn bread at every meal. Her special birthday meal begins with corn bread and she really doesn't care what goes with it.

Now I'm hungry too.

I pour ham and beans over mine. My mouth is watering as I type. WOO HOO!

-----Added 1/14/2009 at 03:17:59 EST-----

What about cornmeal mush Lawrence? My wife likes to cook the mush up real thick and then slice it and grill it and serve with maple syrup.

I love cornbread.

:ditto: Cornbread and milk...my stomach is growling, and I have 3 hours of class left after this break!

Cornbread and sweetmilk in a tall iced tea glass eaten properly with a spoon.

The iced tea glass must be one of those old green glass ones with the little circles in it. ;)

What's with you people and talking about delicious food when I am so hungry?
You are so cruel.

:D

I want a cookie.

Corn bread with sweet milk :eek: Sacrilege!! Where's the rope?

Yeah, I like fried mush as well. But, I put Tabasco on mine.

Another favourite is cornbread in my chili. Mine ends up looking more like chili in my cornbread.

The first time I made cornbread from scratch, I learned that what my stepdad fixed was NOT cornbread. My husband also prefers my from-scratch compared to the "boxed".

I love cornbread.

I'm thinking of doing a paper on the roll of cornbread in the development of Western Culture.

You are in error.

The Israelites, while in the wilderness, ate cheesecake, not cornbread. Also, not only did Elijah receive cheesecake in his time of need, but when angels ministered to Christ after His temptation, they gave Him cheesecake. Please make the appropriate correction in you margins.

Theognome

I love cornbread.

You are in error.

The Israelites, while in the wilderness, ate cheesecake, not cornbread. Also, not only did Elijah receive cheesecake in his time of need, but when angels ministered to Christ after His temptation, they gave Him cheesecake. Please make the appropriate correction in you margins.

Theognome

:lol:

I miss real cornbread in real buttermilk. :drool:

I remember, growing up, my Dad and I had special long spoons to eat it with.

I love cornbread.

I will still call you a brother :)

What is this talk of cornbread in buttermilk??? I've never heard such craziness. Do you seriously pour a glass of buttermilk and drop in a piece of cornbread?

I like mine toasted, lightly buttered with a drizzle of honey. Or if my wife isn't around to yell at me, put it in an iron skillet with butter, brown both sides (like grilled cheese) and then the honey. Two eggs over and some corned beef hash also make a nice combo.

What is this talk of cornbread in buttermilk??? I've never heard such craziness. Do you seriously pour a glass of buttermilk and drop in a piece of cornbread?

Oh, yes. Crumble the cornbread, really chunks not crumbs, into a tall glass and then fill the glass with buttermilk. Enjoy

Probably my favourite cornbread is crackling cornbread. Mix cracklings into the batter and bake as usual. Out of this world good. Not good on the cholesterol front, but hey, one ought to be able to enjoy life.

Everyone loves my wifes cornbread. I just found out her secret ingredient to keeping it moist. She puts a half package of French Vanilla pudding into the batter. Don't tell anyone. (If you don't like it slightly sweet, then you won't like it with pudding.)

Everyone loves my wifes cornbread. I just found out her secret ingredient to keeping it moist. She puts a half package of French Vanilla pudding into the batter. Don't tell anyone. (If you don't like it slightly sweet, then you won't like it with pudding.)

Oooooooooh! I'm Telling!

Theognome

I love cornbread.

Best baked in a cast iron skillet for nice thick crust.

I eat it with a spoon from a glass with milk as a bed time snack.

Pinto beans, corn bread, fried potatoes, onion, sour kraut and butter milk is the traditional meal of Southern Appalachia.

Fed cornbread to a friend visiting from London and he had no appreciation for it.

Uncivilized barbarians!

I like Scotch; why don’t the Brits appreciate cornbread?

-----Added 1/14/2009 at 06:44:39 EST-----

White or yellow?

I love cornbread.

Best baked in a cast iron skillet for nice thick crust.

I eat it with a spoon from a glass with milk as a bed time snack.

Pinto beans, corn bread, fried potatoes, onion, sour kraut and butter milk is the traditional meal of Southern Appalachia.

Fed cornbread to a friend visiting from London and he had no appreciation for it.

Uncivilized barbarians!

I like Scotch; why don’t the Brits appreciate cornbread?

-----Added 1/14/2009 at 06:44:39 EST-----

White or yellow?

Scotch? you actually drink that rotgut??

Besides, think that a TRUE Brit would more appreciate gin or perhaps rum...

Finished off a pan of cornbread the other night while telling my wife a story my dad told me about cornbread. He said each afternoon when they would come home from school they would have a snack of cornbread and milk then head out to work in the field. Those were the good old days. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back