I Have Learned Some New Words.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueridge Believer

Puritan Board Professor
In the last few days of battling the flu along with trying to help family with legal problems I have learned some new words for my vocabulary, especially when having to deal with some in the legal and law enforcement side. Pray for me brethren. I am at wits end.

RAKE, n.

A loose, disorderly, vicious man; a man addicted to lewdness and other scandalous vices.

rakeshame
RA'KESHAME, n. A vile dissolute wretch.

churl
CHURL, n.

1. A rude, surly, ill-bred man.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

churlish
CHURLISH, a.

1. Rude; surly; austere; sullen; rough in temper; unfeeling; uncivil.

2. Selfish; narrow-minded; avaricious.

3. [Of things.] Unpliant; unyielding; cross-grained; harsh; unmanageable; as churlish metal.

4. Hard; firm; as a churlish knot.

5. Obstinate; as a churlish war.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

churlishly
CHURLISHLY, adv. Rudely; roughly; in a churlish manner.

churlishness
CHURLISHNESS, n. Rudeness of manners or temper, but generally the word refers to the temper or disposition of mind; sullenness; austerity; indisposition to kindness or courtesy.

churly
CHURLY, a. Rude; boisterous.

Ooooops! Sorry James, I somehow got the impression that this thread was started by Bill (Bad Bill, Bodacious Bill, Wild Bill) Brown. Please accept my humble apology. :(

As you you Bill, I'm gonna keep thinking of more titles of derision. I don't even know why... except that it's fun. :p

Sorry James. :(

(PS, thank you Vic for pointing out my displaced attack.)

re: Churlish and rude...

In the last few days of battling the flu along with trying to help family with legal problems I have learned some new words for my vocabulary, especially when having to deal with some in the legal and law enforcement side. Pray for me brethren. I am at wits end.

RAKE, n.

A loose, disorderly, vicious man; a man addicted to lewdness and other scandalous vices.

rakeshame
RA'KESHAME, n. A vile dissolute wretch.

churl
CHURL, n.

1. A rude, surly, ill-bred man.

churlish
CHURLISH, a.

1. Rude; surly; austere; sullen; rough in temper; unfeeling; uncivil.

2. Selfish; narrow-minded; avaricious.

3. [Of things.] Unpliant; unyielding; cross-grained; harsh; unmanageable; as churlish metal.

4. Hard; firm; as a churlish knot.

5. Obstinate; as a churlish war.

churlishly
CHURLISHLY, adv. Rudely; roughly; in a churlish manner.

churlishness
CHURLISHNESS, n. Rudeness of manners or temper, but generally the word refers to the temper or disposition of mind; sullenness; austerity; indisposition to kindness or courtesy.

churly
CHURLY, a. Rude; boisterous.

A few more words (along these lines) to think about:

boorishness

brusque

contumelious

incult

robustious

uncivil

:p

I know the feeling well, brother. Praying for you!

"Obstinate" (contained in one of the definitions) is also a good one.

Also add:

recalcitrant

obstreperous

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back