If You Could Pick One

As a Pastor, which of these men would you press into learning more from if you had the time?

  • Jeremiah Burroughs

    Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Stephen Charnock

    Votes: 2 5.9%
  • John Owen

    Votes: 14 41.2%
  • Thomas Manton

    Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Thomas Goodwin

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thomas Boston

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Jonathan Edwards (Banner)

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Richard Sibbes

    Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Thomas Brooks

    Votes: 2 5.9%
  • John Flavel

    Votes: 6 17.6%

  • Total voters
    34
Status
Not open for further replies.

Proverbs4:23

Puritan Board Freshman
As I scan my bookshelf (and as a young pastor), it's easy to get bogged down and read a bunch of authors only at the surface level rather than digging into one author. So I am looking for wisdom from you older minsters with this poll. Which author would make you more well rounded (outside the bible) to serve the sheep of God and by exalting the glory and the riches of Christ.
 
As I scan my bookshelf (and as a young pastor), it's easy to get bogged down and read a bunch of authors only at the surface level rather than digging into one author. So I am looking for wisdom from you older minsters with this poll. Which author would make you more well rounded (outside the bible) to serve the sheep of God and by exalting the glory and the riches of Christ.
They are all very good, so I would say you should go with the one you enjoy the most.
I have been focusing on working through Owen.
Also, I don't think we need to make a rule that everyone should major on one figure. I heard this from Piper about Edwards and many have taken it to heart, but it's not really any better than doing something else.
 
Martyn Lloyd-Jones gave this wise pastoral advice to ministers:
You will find, I think, in general that the Puritans are almost invariably helpful . . . I shall never cease to be grateful to one of them called Richard Sibbes who was balm to my soul at a period in my life when I was overworked and badly overtired, and therefore subject in an unusual manner to the onslaughts of the devil. In that state and condition . . . what you need is some gentle, tender treatment for your soul. I found at that time that Richard Sibbes, who was known in London in the early seventeenth century as ‘the heavenly Doctor Sibbes’, was an unfailing remedy. His books The Bruised Reed and The Soul’s Conflict quietened, soothed, comforted, encouraged and healed me.
[Martyn Lloyd-Jones]
 
Much depends on what you need for yourself and for your ministry. If you have a fruitful hermeneutic and a strong grounding in academic theology, perhaps what makes for practical edification, encouragement, and sanctified common sense is as necessary as anything else; on those grounds I chose Manton.
 
Do you have a solid systematic theology to drink deeply from? Honestly, I would encourage you to not overlook Calvin's Institutes combined with his commentaries. That combination will allow you to sit at the feet of one of the greatest Reformed thinkers of all time. Besides the obvious, Calvin frequently interacted with Augustin and Bernard, among other early Christian figures. In my opinion, every young minister should read and re-read Calvin's Institutes.

If you are set on the options you listed, hands down John Owen. In my estimation, there is a significant gap between Owen and the others in the continued value you will get out of them. I would suggest you go with the Crossway edition that is in the works. They have enough published that will keep you busy until the others are released.
 
I actually wouldn’t focus on only one author. God provided the Body and a multiplicity of teachers to bless the church and contribute their unique gifts. If you are teaching regularly, I would recommend adding the best authors on whatever topic you are prepping. If you have extra time and are looking for additional study, I would recommend reading in an area of weakness that will have the most benefit for yourself and the church (i.e. Doctrine of God). You could then choose three or four authors and read through them on each sub-topic such as the attributes of God. You will then see points of agreement but the various authors, if well chosen, will fill out a more complete treatment on the topic.
 
I like Thomas Watson, I live in Bedford UK so John Bunyan is a must for me. I am not a pastor, but I believe that, as some old ministers I knew - both Baptist and Presbyterian - suggested that those wanting to enter the ministry should seriously read the Bible in 3 years and start reading a systematic theology in the 2nd year of having started reading the Bible. I have read Calvin and Augustine, though the latter I would be very selective. If I had to chose one of the above I would like to know Thoma Manton more.
 
I echo the ideas of others on not fixating on one theologian. One can get imbalanced in this way. In terms of what you should read, this depends on various factors. You will find that a certain author is what you need at a specific time. For example, if you are experiencing a severe time of temptation, then Brooks's Precious Remedies would be a good thing to read, or John Owen on the mortification of sin. But supposing you are having questions about the character of God. Then read Charnock on the existence and attributes of God. Owen is generally reckoned the prince of the Puritans, but all of them have something to contribute.
 
Thomas Brooks and Richard Sibbes are much loved Puritan pastors

I was about to post something similar to yours. I voted for Flavel because it was a pastor's heart he wanted to nourish. Personally, I wish we could vote for three. I have read more of Owen than I have a Flavel by far, for obvious reasons. But for the pastor's heart, I know of none better than John Flavel.
 
I was about to post something similar to yours. I voted for Flavel because it was a pastor's heart he wanted to nourish. Personally, I wish we could vote for three. I have read more of Owen than I have a Flavel by far, for obvious reasons. But for the pastor's heart, I know of none better than John Flavel.
Brother you make an important point. There are many Puritans that are a blessing. I mentioned how Dr Lloyd-Jones was encouraged by Richard Sibbes. I know of a Pastor who was blessed by Flavel's Mystery of Providence. The Banner of Truth Puritan Paperback series has many gems.
 
While not on your list, I am currently working through George Swinnock's works. RHB's The Blessed and Boundless God in the Puritan Treasures for Today line was a tremendous blessing. Its 45 chapters show how incomparable God is, just like the declaration of Psalm 89:6.

He is wonderfully illustrative in his approach to writing. These illustrations are vivid, applicable, and never cheapen the topic approached.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top