Impeccability of Christ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romans922

Puritan Board Professor
Impeccability of Christ - Christ did not/cannot possibly sin.

Are there any Reformed Christians who would say that Christ could've sinned or is it pretty well held that Christ couldn't sin?

Are there any Reformed Christians who would say that Christ could've sinned or is it pretty well held that Christ couldn't sin?

I think BB Warfield held that Christ could sin - I recall reading that in Alan Cairns' Dictionary of Theological Terms.

Personally, I think the idea that Christ could have sinned is nonsense.:2cents:

I think BB Warfield held that Christ could sin - I recall reading that in Alan Cairns' Dictionary of Theological Terms.

:ditto:

Because He became 100% man He could be tempted. But because He is 100% God He could not possibly sin. We must be careful to not consider true temptation to necessitate the ability to sin. Consider the attributes and perfections of God and insert sin into the equation. That'll put a cog in your gears.

:ditto:

Because He became 100% man He could be tempted. But because He is 100% God He could not possibly sin. We must be careful to not consider true temptation to necessitate the ability to sin. Consider the attributes and perfections of God and insert sin into the equation. That'll put a cog in your gears.

:agree:

I see a paralell between these two arguments, both of which I reject:

1) Christ must have had the ability to sin, otherwise His temptations were not sincere tempatations.

2) God must desire the salvation of all who hear the gospel, otherwise the gospel call is not a sincere call.

Perhaps the rhetoricians could help me to see the light.

1) Christ must have had the ability to sin, otherwise His temptations were not sincere tempatations.

2) God must desire the salvation of all who hear the gospel, otherwise the gospel call is not a sincere call.

Not sure the two are related. I really do not have much of a problem with the idea that God wants men to repent and believe the gospel, even though he has decreed they will not. I confess this is above human reason, but it seems to be Biblical. But anyway, I am going :offtopic:

Not sure the two are related. I really do not have much of a problem with the idea that God wants men to repent and believe the gospel, even though he has decreed they will not. I confess this is above human reason, but it seems to be Biblical. But anyway, I am going :offtopic:

Are you a 'two wills' man?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back