Income Tax: + or -?

Will you be paying taxes this year?

  • Yes, I owe to both Federal and State

    Votes: 5 9.3%
  • Yes, I owe to Federal only

    Votes: 3 5.6%
  • No, I'm getting money back from Federal and State

    Votes: 21 38.9%
  • No, I'm getting money back from only Federal

    Votes: 13 24.1%
  • Yes and No, Paying one, getting money back the other

    Votes: 7 13.0%
  • No, my country doesn't have income taxes

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no, I owe...find me if you can, IRS

    Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Other

    Votes: 3 5.6%

  • Total voters
    54
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've come to realize that you know I'm ok with paying a bi-weekly fee to my government to be allowed to work in it's country.



Not!!!!!

:offtopic:
Bladestunner, I like this quote:

"Man is nothing: he hath a free will to go to hell, but none to go to heaven, till God worketh in him to will and to do his good pleasure"
GEORGE WHITEFIELD TO JOHN WESLEY

Tell me, is that from Whitefield's letter to Wesley on Election, or is it from some other letter?


You know I dont remember where. But that would be a valid assumption-it would have to be from a letter.
 
enjoy it while it lasts.... when billary (or hussein) takes office, the benefits of having kids will change...

The first thing either of them will do is to put the "marriage penalty" back in. That should help O'Bama (he's Irish - didn't you know?), if he gets in, with his proposed $790 billion budget.
 
Nothing Obama or Hillary can do to change the truth of God's Word. Children will always be a blessing from the Lord! God will always find a way to bless through children.
 
JonathanHunt;

Many throughout the UK, but most churches cannot afford to pay adequately!

Most people say employers in general don't pay adequately, but I know here in the states, many employers DO pay adequately, but people want to live way beyond what they can afford.
 
JonathanHunt;

Many throughout the UK, but most churches cannot afford to pay adequately!

Most people say employers in general don't pay adequately, but I know here in the states, many employers DO pay adequately, but people want to live way beyond what they can afford.

That's an excellent point. It's surprising to some as to how much you really need to live. It's much less than people realize or are willing to live on.
 
I've come to realize that you know I'm ok with paying a bi-weekly fee to my government to be allowed to work in it's country.

Not!!!!!

I am okay with the amount that I have to pay. The benefits outweigh the expenses... I have not filed my state or federal taxes, nor have I filed my canadian taxes yet. Yes, taxes for two countries, it is great.
 
Washington has no income tax, but we've paid a fair sum to the state and local government in property tax and sales tax. (I figured it out and it amounts to a lot more than the 2001 Ford Ranger I bought this year).

And yes, we've paid quite a bit to the Feds.

Speaking of the State sales tax vs. State Income tax... Is it really fair for residents who live in states where they pay both State income tax and State sales tax to have to choose which one is the larger amount, while those who pay only one gets to deduct the full amount of whichever they pay?

In Illinois, we have both, but the only time you would actually want to deduct sales tax is in years that you make large puchases such as automobiles.
 
Washington has no income tax, but we've paid a fair sum to the state and local government in property tax and sales tax. (I figured it out and it amounts to a lot more than the 2001 Ford Ranger I bought this year).

And yes, we've paid quite a bit to the Feds.

Speaking of the State sales tax vs. State Income tax... Is it really fair for residents who live in states where they pay both State income tax and State sales tax to have to choose which one is the larger amount, while those who pay only one gets to deduct the full amount of whichever they pay?

In Illinois, we have both, but the only time you would actually want to deduct sales tax is in years that you make large puchases such as automobiles.

Fair? The tax code? Sorry. ;)

Actually, it was only the past couple of years that sales tax could be deducted at all. That was from a push by the Washington delegation (and the other handful of sales-tax only states). Before that, only state income tax could be deducted. I'm sure they will jigger it yet again, but more likely not in anybody's favor.
 
We owe some to the feds and to PA.

We maxed out our dependent deductions many years ago and it has been going downhill ever since. We’ll loose another deduction this year when our 5th child gets married (DV), which will leave us with just two at home.

Plus, our home mortgage is almost paid off so we have little to show for deductable mortgage interest.

I guess we could adopt a few more kids, but, instead, I’ve thought about buying a big new expensive house just to get that deduction back. :D
 
Washington has no income tax, but we've paid a fair sum to the state and local government in property tax and sales tax. (I figured it out and it amounts to a lot more than the 2001 Ford Ranger I bought this year).

And yes, we've paid quite a bit to the Feds.

Speaking of the State sales tax vs. State Income tax... Is it really fair for residents who live in states where they pay both State income tax and State sales tax to have to choose which one is the larger amount, while those who pay only one gets to deduct the full amount of whichever they pay?

In Illinois, we have both, but the only time you would actually want to deduct sales tax is in years that you make large puchases such as automobiles.

Fair? The tax code? Sorry. ;)

Actually, it was only the past couple of years that sales tax could be deducted at all. That was from a push by the Washington delegation (and the other handful of sales-tax only states). Before that, only state income tax could be deducted. I'm sure they will jigger it yet again, but more likely not in anybody's favor.

Hey, it's that fair tax code that gives me a negative tax liability, so I won't complain too much. :lol::lol:

...but I hope they jigger it to include both.
 
Fair? The tax code? Sorry. ;)

Actually, it was only the past couple of years that sales tax could be deducted at all. That was from a push by the Washington delegation (and the other handful of sales-tax only states). Before that, only state income tax could be deducted. I'm sure they will jigger it yet again, but more likely not in anybody's favor.

In a society where "natural law" prevails in the civil realm, any tax code is fair. No?
 
Fair? The tax code? Sorry. ;)

Actually, it was only the past couple of years that sales tax could be deducted at all. That was from a push by the Washington delegation (and the other handful of sales-tax only states). Before that, only state income tax could be deducted. I'm sure they will jigger it yet again, but more likely not in anybody's favor.

In a society where "natural law" prevails in the civil realm, any tax code is fair. No?

Well, without getting into a jillion qualifiers and definitions, I'd say that under the current view of tax policy by the "experts", they'd say no. The problem is, they can't figure out what they mean by "fair."

There's the concept of vertical equity: which seeks to have fairness over a range of different income.

And then there's the concept of horizontal equity: it seeks to have similarly situated people treated similarly.

So the income tax deduction vs. the sales tax deduction issue mostly hits on horizontal equity: people in some states get more of a break than others.

But, taking your question in a positive law sense: what the ruler demos decrees (through their elected officials) is always right and fair. :p
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top