Internet via phone to may pc

NaphtaliPress

Administrator
Staff member
This is the fourth time this year thieves stole copper wire and broke the neighborhood interent (ATT, but also saw a Spectrum truck; so both dependent on the wire). My nephew said there is a way I can feed interent from my phone to my pc. I would have to change plans (have a ATT paygo). But how would this work. When the internet was down yesterday my phone could not access email or net; but if I walked out of the house and half a block to where the wire was stolen, I could send and receive email? Or if I drove over to the grocery store few blocks away. Why that? So I'm not sure if I would have the same block from working in the house is my concern if this would actually work. Does the phone rely on the router in the house and then at a distance does not? How to make it work in the house?

Yes, probably. Turn off wifi on your phone. You may still have a network through your router, but no internet coming to the router. That would give you internet on your phone through cellular.

You can "hotspot" your phone to your PC, which would allow your PC to get on the internet through the cellular signal - essentially using your phone as a router (simplified explanation). But you would need a cellular plan that includes hotspot data coverage. I have one with ATT that I use when there is no wifi when I am traveling.

Not sure if this addresses your question, but with a Samsung galaxy A13 on the StraightTalk network you can set up your phone as a mobile Hotspot to serve as an access point for internet use.

As Fred stated, you turn off your wifi on the phone, and then somewhere in the network options you enable "mobile hotspot". You can then connect your PC to it via wifi as it it were a regular router. Don't forget to configure and set a password.

I'm sure this varies from device to device, but I've seen it on several Samsung phones. I just happen to be most familiar with this one (A13 5G).

It sounds like you're trying to set up a mobile hotspot. Check with your provider to confirm that you have an appropriate data plan first. Some providers will allow you to add and remove that feature as needed.

Hopefully, you have sufficient signal strength to make it work. I don't think it would consistently work for me at home because our signal can be spotty, especially when it comes to data.

Per the advice given, the reason that your phone does not have data is that it is connected to your local Wi-Fi router and, when the house has no internet, then your Wifi has no Internet. Ergo, your phone thinks it has no Internet.

As others have suggested, if you are going to use your phone as a Mobile Hotspot, then you might need to upgrade your plan. You'll have to upgrade it so that you can enable Mobile Hotspot, and you may have to upgrade it for the data consumed. If you stick to things that don't include streaming video, you might be okay with data usage.

You may need to have WiFi enabled on your phone for the Mobile Hotspot feature to work. Until your problem is resolved, just turn off your home WiFi or disconnect from that network on your phone and make sure the phone is not set up to automatically connect to that WiFi.

One other thing - you can set it up as either a tethered hotspot (connect the phone to your laptop by USB cable) or wireless hotspot. I've had to hotspot a few times when the Frontier fiber connection went out. But like the others have said - make sure you have a proper plan or it can get expensive.

Back