Is guilt and feeling of deep unworthiness work good for the Christian life?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those who know themselves best fear themselves most. -- Donald Cargill (Scottish Covenanter, 1610 - 1681)

Psalm 51 is a good place in the Scriptures to go to when one finds their sins to be overwhelming.

Myself included. I feel like Jeremiah just cursing the day I was born, cursing the guy that handed out cigars saying it is a boy!!!!!!!!!

Then I am led into repentance and restoration by the grace of God.

Rather than guilt, I tend to be given more to remorse. For guilty I am, and forgiven I also am. But many are the times I stumble again and plead with the Lord to give me the stregnth to repent and persevere. O wicked man that I am!

I feel horrible that I have displeased my heavenly Father. I t make me hate sin and desire to please him all the more.

I believe, yes, God will impress upon us uncommon feelings of guilt and unworthiness when the times call for it (when we are feeling too proud, or perhaps too worthy in ourselves?) to get us back on track--- but I wouldn't consider either as general, everyday motivations for Christian living. "Thankfulness" and "Joy" seem to dominate. If we are justified and sanctified Christians, then let us not be guilty, and let us walk worthy.

[Edited on 3-16-2005 by Rick Larson]

I too believe that Christians should hate "“ truly hate "“ their sin and that we should be grieved when we sin against our Father. We Christians are all too often very nonchalant about our sin.

But I don´t think that we should despond and wallow in guilt"¦ surely the glorious words of Romans 8:1 are intended to give us some real comfort and encouragement!

Thanks for your replies guys.I have this continuous sin plaging me.I hate it so much but at the same time like it.I pray to hate it even more.Please pray the Lord will deliver me out of this.Pray he moves this stony heart to soften.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back