Is joining the military recommended or legal in this day and age?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I randomly just thought of an important question that we should probably ask ourselves. If we are not in wartime, would it make more sense to spend our time in the military, or to spend much of our free time serving God's Church? Maybe somebody still can serve their Church faithfully, even when in the military, I really don't know the answer to that. But I'm just thinking from a priority and eternal standpoint.
I was wondering that, because if what conscience was saying is true (I’m uncertain now), then what’s the point in joining? My time, efforts and possibly my life are wasted if indeed every serviceman is doomed. But at the same time, I’ve never felt any calling or interest for anything but aviation, which begs how I could help the Church at all with such a skillset, other than missionary support. I was hoping to transport wounded soldiers so they could actually realize how close they came to hell and hopefully be saved.

I randomly just thought of an important question that we should probably ask ourselves. If we are not in wartime, would it make more sense to spend our time in the military, or to spend much of our free time serving God's Church? Maybe somebody still can serve their Church faithfully, even when in the military, I really don't know the answer to that. But I'm just thinking from a priority and eternal standpoint.
I don't want to derail the thread, but I think a good understanding of the Reformed doctrine of vocation would answer your question. We don't have to decide between serving in the military (or any other lawful vocation) and serving the Church.
This thread is of particular importance to me because my youngest is considering the Coast Guard.

Since I spent a lot of time on the water growing up and two years working in the same building as the CG in Alaska, I have a positive view of this branch. It also seems they give a greater amount of room for personal judgment and opportunity to assess and complete work than other parts of the military, which would suit my very competent son well.

If anyone here has any insight into this branch in the last few years, I'd truly appreciate hearing your insights.
I think just about every one of us who serve(d) had a moment when it hit us that, "Wait...why didn't I join the Coast Guard?!" It seems the CG is almost a closely held secret that most of us never even considered, but it could have been an excellent choice for us. The few Coasties I've come across loved their Branch and most had every intention of remaining in until retirement.

The Coast Guard has all the same pay/benefits/incentives of the other branches, but with the added benefits of (mostly) US based missions, better living conditions, and the expressed purpose of serving to defend the Nation's waters rather than to project power across the globe - a mission many would be much more comfortable serving.

To the OP, @VerticalLiftEnjoyer, have you considered pursuing an aviation career in the Coast Guard? That might actually be a really great option.

The Coast Guard has all the same pay/benefits/incentives of the other branches, but with the added benefits of (mostly) US based missions, better living conditions, and the expressed purpose of serving to defend the Nation's waters rather than to project power across the globe - a mission many would be much more comfortable serving.
In time of war, the CG (being under the auspices of the Navy) is likely to have its services repurposed to whatever manpower and equipment demands the DoD determines, including missions that go further afield than coastal defense. This will happen, even if any applicable law or regulation must be reinterpreted or entirely abolished and rewritten. Still, such acts would likely be a while in coming, and a service member who dissented from a change in policy might have time to make plans accordingly. Most people never think about suffering for their ideals, or even what those ideals are before the fact.

Recent in-haste rewriting of standing policies, even those governed by long-standing precedent (I'm thinking of the imposition of readiness compromises made on the basis of junk-science and political expediency) are demonstrative of the risks one should be aware of in advance, even if the original choice one makes of contracting and oath-taking seems reasonable and honorable at the time. In general, voluntary enlistment or commissioning means one says to the State: "I surrender to you the right to do with my body whatever you want." That's not intrinsically evil, and may even be noble; but it does imply some level of trust (or hope) that the highest responsible decision-makers are continuously motivated by pure ideals (and would be willing to suffer themselves before giving them up).

In time of war, the CG (being under the auspices of the Navy) is likely to have its services repurposed to whatever manpower and equipment demands the DoD determines, including missions that go further afield than coastal defense.
Even recently, some CG units were deployed to the Persian Gulf and elsewhere to aid in harbor defense, etc., so there is a chance - although relatively slim - one would be called to such a mission. As I understand it, the CG is a part of Homeland Security rather than the DOD/Navy these days, but I imagine the distinction has little effect on the mission set the CG is given.

I was never in the CG, of course , but as I understand it, the CG has little capability or call to perform offensive operations and rather exists to defend waters and harbors, wherever on the globe they may be. That may be an important factor for some who are burdened by the question of the morality of offensive action.

Forgive me if this is the wrong place to post this, but I want some opinions from everyone (even non-Americans) about if a man should even join the military these days. I read through a bunch of threads on the military here, before I registered, and some of you even made it sound good… but they’re all from 2004-10. Only a few are from after that, and the latest ones are asking about chaplaincy and things like that.

A war with China seems inevitable these days, as well as another insurgent slog in Africa, so l was thinking about joining the military in some aircrew/pilot or medical capacity to hopefully save lives if it happens during my service. My conscience, however, condemns joining the military, saying that this is the destruction of Jerusalem and I ought to flea, or let it happen. (not to say I BELIEVE America to be the new Jerusalem, but that America is ultimately a former Christian nation that has sinned against grace and will get the reward of that)

What do you guys think? Is it even good to join a police force or EMS or homeland security, since you’d be in the service of a sinful city that’s getting what it deserves? This assumes the logic stated is correct, of course.

I'm a veteran ('96-'04) and while I benefitted in many ways from serving I probably would not join the military today if I had to do it all over again. There are any number of ways of serving one's community without going into the military. However, with children fast approaching adulthood I do often wonder whether the military would be a "safer" alternative to forking over a fortune to send my kids off to one of our indoctrination centers of higher learning (i.e. college). The worldview battle will be waged on both fronts I suppose, so it's a tough call either way.

The military does provide the advantage of learning a skill (MOS) and figuring life out at a young age with a bit of a safety net (i.e. benefit-wise), but a stable and supportive family offers much of the same.

If I were in your shoes thinking about my options I might look into the national guard instead of the active military.

Go National Guard. Part time w/ some full time benefits. Two weeks a year and (generally) two days out of the month.

However, there can be times where it can be difficult to juggle two different lives. Seek the Lord and your answer will be found.

Maybe on the rest of them, but I don't have much sympathy for those who don't know about the Navy's coaling base in Cuba.
Anyone who doesn't know what that is shouldn't be able to vote. :pilgrim:

I took the ASVAB in high school, as have millions of other Americans. It is probably offered everywhere if not required, so most should know what that is too.

If I were in your shoes thinking about my options I might look into the national guard instead of the active military.
Many have had that view in the past, only to find themselves on multiple lengthy deployments halfway around the world. Before Desert Storm, many who joined the Guard didn't seem to think that was very likely.

Many have had that view in the past, only to find themselves on multiple lengthy deployments halfway around the world. Before Desert Storm, many who joined the Guard didn't seem to think that was very likely.
I honestly considered joining the Guard/Reserve since most people say they get more training and they get to do their jobs more often. (also it was normal for units to be deployed at home in support of COVID when that was a thing)

Indeed. Since 9/11 this has been quite common; however, with the Iraq and Afghanistan conflicts behind us most Guard deployments today are generally limited in duration and of a peacekeeping and/or partner nation building capacity. Prayerfully, we will enter a period of prolonged peace and be limited to rumors of wars rather than actively engaged in large-scale combat operations like the last ~20 years brought us. Though if our active military continues to suffer recruiting shortages in the coming years then perhaps the Guard will be used to plug holes they might not have traditionally had to fill.

I honestly considered joining the Guard/Reserve since most people say they get more training and they get to do their jobs more often. (also it was normal for units to be deployed at home in support of COVID when that was a thing)
I finished out my time with a couple of years in the National Guard and was often told the same thing (that the NG trained/did the job more often than Active Duty). Frankly, it's nonsense. I'm not saying the Active component trains or does their job every day of the week, but it doesn't take a lot of math to see that the standard NG schedule of two days per month and two weeks each summer simply cannot equate to a regular Active unit's training cycle. It isn't just about the amount of time spent training, the difference in quality was rather stark, as well.

Again, as someone who has actually lived in both worlds - while there may be exceptions to every rule - I can tell you that it's not even close.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back