Is this a good buy for a used car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go with a Malibu...I had one that I was prepared to celebrate it's 200,000 mile birthday, until a kid in a giant truck slammed into me at 65mph, and pushed me into 4 other cars. It was a great car...it also is a decent looking car that is fairly roomy. I never had a moments trouble from it.

Free tip unrelated to your car-buying:

After you've moved to Indiana, on the first day it snows take your wife out to a big parking-lot.

Drive the car around for 20 minutes. Switch seats. Let your wife drive the car around for 20 minutes.

Repeat as needed. :)

For $3000 you could get a good Volvo from the mid 90s. It will have 100-200,000 miles on it; but it should get you through your Ph.D.

Do not buy an American car with close to 100,000. It is like buying a dead horse.

Free tip unrelated to your car-buying:

After you've moved to Indiana, on the first day it snows take your wife out to a big parking-lot.

Drive the car around for 20 minutes. Switch seats. Let your wife drive the car around for 20 minutes.

Repeat as needed. :)

This is good advice for someone who has never driven in the snow alot. Make sure there are no other cars around and watch out for light poles! Make the car go into a power slide & try to get out of it. Front wheel drive and rear wheel drive will handle differently. With front wheel, counter-steering and hitting the accelerator will straighten you out. It will help you practicing situations like that before you encounter them out on the road. BTW, rear wheel drive is WAY COOLER for spinning doughnuts!

I wouldn't be too concerned about ABS; if you don't have it just remember to "pump" the brakes. I actually hate ABS. I know how to handle a skid, and when the ABS starts cutting in and out it increases your required stopping distance. Hated it even more when the Feds mandated them on heavy commercial trucks. Those would cut in and out on dry roads that were "bumpy"! :mad: When I jam on the binders I want to lay rubber on the road!

Go with front wheel drive and good tires and you will be OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back