Jamieson, Fausset, and Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
I have a set of this commentary floating to me through the mail.

The authors are interesting - two Scottish Presbyterians and an Irish Anglican.

Robert Jamieson (January 3, 1802 - October 26, 1880) - a Presbyterian minister in the Church of Scotland

Andrew Robert Fausset (October 13, 1821 - February 8, 1910) - an Anglican minister in the Irish Anglican church

David Brown (August 17, 1803 - July 3, 1897) - a Presbyterian minister in the Free Presbyterian Church of Scotland

Also interesting is the very uneven distribution of the work: Fausset wrote the commentaries for 44 books (Job-Malachi, Romans-Revelation). Jamieson comes in second, commenting on 17 books (Genesis-Esther), and Brown had the lightest load (Matthew-Acts). It would be interesting to know how this division of the work came about.

I realize it's, of course, an older work (originally published in six volumes from 1864 to 1870), but I figure that it's still useful.

Any of you guys have it? Do you use it and like it? Any problems with it?

Slight correction, David Brown was a minister in the Free Church of Scotland, but did not join the Free Presbyterian Church of Scotland when it was formed in 1893, and to my knowledge remained in the Free Church until his death in 1897.

I don't have the commentary, but know some people who do - I can't really comment on it.

This commentary is a default resource in the starter Logos bible software library. I have used it a fair bit. It is a solid commentary but the language can be clunky at times.

This commentary is a default resource in the starter Logos bible software library. I have used it a fair bit. It is a solid commentary but the language can be clunky at times.
I believe the abridged edition comes with the Logos starter. The unabridged comes with many of the paid packages.

Jamieson is the most obscure of the three. The other two are interesting. Fausset was a premil as well as a Zionist, I think, although I doubt he could be said to be Dispensational through and through. "Ardent premil" might be a good enough label. (Some of the quotes I've seen from him may be from other works. There seem to have been quite a few Anglican premils in the 19th Century.) I've seen where he seems to at lean towards hypothetical universalism/moderate Calvinism. I think maybe this can be seen in his comments on 1 John 2:2. But it has been a number of years since I've really delved into this commentary. Brown was one of the most notable postmil writers of the era, but he was a Zionist too. (I'm not sure how much of that is reflected in this commentary. I'll check Rom 11. He wrote the commentary on Romans as well as Matt-Acts, with Fausset taking the rest of the epistles.) I understand that Erroll Hulse's "Restoration of Israel" owes a lot to Brown's book on that subject. Perhaps most (in)famously, back in the late 80s, Steve Schlissel republished Brown's work on the restoration of Israel as a response to Hal Lindsey's "Road to Holocaust" which is a polemic against the recons. The cover (by SWRB?) was designed so that someone who just glances at the cover quickly might mistake it for a Lindsey book.

The unabridged edition can be found a number of places online. Some of them show who wrote what and some do not. A few years ago I acquired the Kregel reprint of the 3 vols and I don't think that it says who wrote what.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back