Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnGill

Puritan Board Senior
[video=youtube;D8IizHBD54I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8IizHBD54I&feature=related[/video]

Jeremy Brett is the definitive Sherlock Holmes. He has done most of the stories, including two of the four novels.

I am a diehard Sherlock Holmes fan, and Brett was by far, the best Holmes I have ever seen. By the time I saw Jeremy Brett play Holmes, I had read all the stories several times. For me, watching Brett play Holmes was like watching Holmes walk out of the books. He got it.

The secret to his success as Homes was due to his desire to be faithful to the stories. He almost quit the part because he felt the producers and scriptwriters were going too far from the books. He always made sure that they were as faithful as possible to the stories and that the costumes and sets were as accurate as possible. Even Doyle's granddaughter(great?) was impressed. Though she sometimes felt that Brett portrayed Holmes as a little too rude. When a story called for Holmes to crawl around on the ground, Brett would do it as if he really were Holmes to the point that the crew commented on it.

For more anecdotes on Brett: Jeremy Brett - Biography

No, no, my children (said the middle-aged geezer). Basil Rathbone (1892-1967) is still the definitive Holmes, in the 14 films he made (1939-1946) with Nigel Bruce (1895-1953) as Dr. Watson.

Rathbone played Holmes as self-confident right up to the point of arrogance, but without spilling over that point. Bruce - it must be admitted - played Watson as bumbler-with-a-heart-of-gold type, which is not true to the stories. But Rathbone really can't be beat as Holmes - as good as Jeremy Brett is.

I had for the longest time felt Basil Rathbone was the man to play Holmes...but, I have changed my mind...Jeremy Brett really did capture the over-all essence of the character I think. When I read Holmes in the books, I see a MOODY person...kind of manic-depressive (Bi-Polar), as it t'were.

This actually makes more sense, considering the drug abuses Holmes indulged in...Cocain, Opium, etc.

When one uses (abuses) substances, they tend to have moody streaks in them...and I have to say I love how Brett captures this.

Otherwise, I do like Basil Rathbone's movies because of the length of them. And, I should mention, he did do Holmes most excellently considering what he had to work with...they weren't about to show the "dark side" of Holmes in his era of the Silver Screen.:gpl:

Brett IS Holmes! I agree! It is hard for me to think of Holmes and not picture Brett.

Along these lines, has anyone else been to the Sherlock Holmes Museum at 221B Baker Street in London?

:detective:

I do have a soft spot for Michael Caine in "Without A Clue", I still quote from that film on a daily basis. One of the best lines ever is when he comes to the conclusion that the secret is "Arty Morti".

At a meeting where my step daughter was being accused of all sorts of really bad things by the headmistress at school I could not resist using a line from the film and exclaiming at the close of the meeting that "Well, its been a laugh". I was ashamed of myself but I do find it amusing.

One of the worst features of many Holmes adaptations is the way that Watson is portrayed as a bumbling idiot, while Brett is good so was Edward Hardwicke as Watson although that was more down top the scripts than the portrayal.

I do have a soft spot for Michael Caine in "Without A Clue"...

So do I! I thought about that when this thread was posted. It's strictly a two-star movie, but it was a clever idea and carried out well by two gifted actors (Caine and Kingsly).

Even though it was not exactly a great film, I liked the not-so-good Professor Moriarty's appearance in "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" as well.

Without A Clue is one of my favorite movies. Caine is brilliant. He should do more comedies, in my opinion.

I also love his work in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.

Brothers and Sisters, i realize the posting of this complete episode was done innocently and that the easy access of youtube makes it convenient and difficult to honor copyrights but let us realize that episode is someone else's intellectual property and livlihood and we ought to honor the law, even when it seems expedient and that mass media has trained us to not be aware of copyright.

I'd advise the removal of the episode for or own conscience and for liability purposes.

By the way involving Sherlock Holmes, Warner brothers. is making one for the big screen starring Robert Downey Jr. as the sleuth.

I've read the script but will not provide spoilers, very Hollywood to say the least, almost Bond like in some ways.

Brett is simply the Best HOLMES...now, as for Watson...

Hmm, watch the best of the best of Sherlock Holmes, and check out Brett's co-star...in fact, he gets VERY much in Holmes' FACE at times...which is WHY Sherlock Holmes selected THE DOCTOR...not simply for the Doctor's point of view and education on human anatomy, but for the doctor's ability to read HIMSELF!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back