Jesus & 1st table of law

Status
Not open for further replies.

nwink

Puritan Board Sophomore
Why does Jesus usually seem to spend more time talking about the 2nd table of the law (duties to man) than about the 1st table of the law (duties to God)? Clearly, he talks about both...but I'm thinking of the Beatitudes, story of the rich young ruler, etc. Is it because we can more readily/physically see if we are loving our neighbor? Maybe similar to 1 John about how we know we love God if we love the brethren?

The concept of loving God to me is easy.

That of loving my neighbour is much more difficult.

Your mileage may vary.

I am not sure if Jesus did spend more time on the 1st table than He did on the 2nd, but granted that He did. I think you are on the right path wtih your thoughts that loving our neighbor is the outplay of our love towards God. "And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments." I Jn. 2:3 and "He that saith he is in the light, and hateth his brother, is in darkness even until now." I Jn. 2:9

Jesus Christ taught us that we should love the Lord our God first, with all of our heart, mind, soul and strength. As we work on fulfilling that command it naturally leads us to learn to love our fellow man. I don't think that we can easily seperate the two tables, they are dependent upon each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back