WaywardNowHome
Puritan Board Freshman
John 20:21-23 said:So Jesus said to them again, "Peace be with you; as the Father has sent Me, I also send you." And when He had said this, He breathed on them and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, their sins have been forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they have been retained."
Without any training in any of the authentic languages of Scripture (Hebrew, Greek, Aramaic, etc.), I have no real way of delving deeper into an analysis of these verses.
Of course, most readers of the Bible would interpret these verses to mean that Jesus gave His disciples the power and ability to forgive the sins of other men. As far as I know, Romanists use this verse to defend the power of their priests to forgive sins. I don't buy it. This interpretation of the verse contradicts the spirit of the entire Gospel so I am absolutely sure that this is not what Jesus meant.
But I can't seem to figure out what He really meant.
Could I get some help, please?