John 5 - and the "dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claudiu

Puritan Board Junior
I was reading John 5 today, and was trying to make out what is meant by the "dead" in verses 21 & 25:
"21For as the Father raiseth up the dead, and quickeneth them; even so the Son quickeneth whom he will."
"25Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live."

Does it mean dead as in Ephesians 2:1,5-6?
"1And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;"
"5Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved; )
6And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:"

If it means the same "dead" as in Ephesians, it would seem that the passage in John is in relation to Total Depravity (the sinner being dead in sin) as it is in Ephesians. Is this a correct assessment, or am I reading it wrong, with the "dead" Jesus is referring to being something else?

Last edited:
Yes, the thoughts in the two passages are conceptually united.

v21 is a sentence that sets the stage for the following verses. It states a general truth about the power of God--God raises the dead, no one else. Jesus' words (that distinguish the persons Father and the Son) essentially underscore the deity of the Son, continuing through vv22-23.

Jesus takes this thought, and applies it in a distinctly spiritual sense--that his Word raises the spiritually dead to life, vv24-25. The thoughts continue, showing the divine prerogative of the Son in giving life. vv24-25 go together, and speak of the spiritually regenerating power of the Word of God. I think this is the "first resurrection" spoken of in Rev.20:5-6, "...over such the second death has no power."

v28 ties all this life-giving speech into the doctrine of the resurrection, and the final Judgment Day.

I just realized I put this in the wrong forum, I meant to put it in the "Gospel" one.

Rev. Bruce G. Buchanan, thanks for your post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back