John MacArthur's One Perfect Life

Stephen L Smith

Administrator
Staff member
Has anyone read One Perfect Life: The Complete Story of the Lord Jesus.

I was considering doing a study of the four gospels and this looked like a good resource.

Are there better Reformed alternatives? Thanks.
 
This was one of, if not the, first Christian books that I bought (and the only MacArthur book), and to my shame it's been sat staring at me on the shelf for 7 years! Perhaps I should take this as a sign.

It's basically a harmony of the gospels with expositional notes underneath, like a slightly extended study bible. Only at the end does he bring in other NT Scripture.
 
Perhaps I should take this as a sign.
Perhaps you need to read John MacArthurs book on the Charismatic movement :stirpot:
It's basically a harmony of the gospels with expositional notes underneath, like a slightly extended study bible. Only at the end does he bring in other NT Scripture.
The harmony of the gospels aspect appeals to me too. I know the book includes MacArthurs study notes. I was wondering if there was a Dispensational influence in these notes.
 
I have it. Yeah it's good for sure. I can't speak much of the commentary though as I can't remember it exactly. But the format and idea is really good.
 
The harmony of the gospels aspect appeals to me too. I know the book includes MacArthurs study notes. I was wondering if there was a Dispensational influence in these notes.
I was slightly off in my first description. Having read the introduction last night, the notes are actually taken from the MacArthur study bible. There are also some other Scriptures from Genesis and the NT woven into the beginning of the harmony as well.
Regarding the influence of dispensationalism, maybe others have a better idea, but it seems to be very minimal, being noticeable perhaps only in some of the notes to eschatological passages.
 
Last edited:
I have been looking for a study of the four gospels for some time, particularly a study that looks at how each gospel portrays Christ; each gospel has its own particular emphasis. Also how does each gospel contribute to Biblical redemptive history.

MacArthurs book appears to be one of the best on this topic.
 
I have read it but it has been a while as well as the one he did on the Apostle Paul. One point that someone made to me a while ago that I actually think I agree with was that although putting them into a format such as this can be helpful with a timeline and maybe comparison, it may not be the right approach. God inspired the biblical authors and we find their inspired authorial intent through the way they ordered their writings and what one gospel may have that another does not or even the order in which they portray the events was intentional and contributed to the meaning that the author was trying to convey.
I recognize that your purpose is to compare the different account and that none of this will be new information too you but it has affected the way I view the book so I thought I would share. May God bless your study!
 
Back
Top