Jonathan Edwards Daily Devotional

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex Washburn

Puritan Board Freshman
so I recently discovered a daily Devotional which is compiled from the sermons of Jonathan Edwards. It’s pretty awesome, so I thought I’d share:
It’s called “A Journey Towards Heaven’ Daily Devotions from the Sermons Of Jonathan Edwards” by Dustin Benge
http://a.co/ejXuW0Y

I had a few dollars remaining on an Amazon.com gift card so I just purchased the Kindle version. Thanks for the tip.

As a sample, here is today’s devotional:

JUNE 12
THE PURCHASE OF GRACE AND HOLINESS

And for their sakes I sanctify myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth.—JOHN 17: 19

Christ, by His merits, in the great things that He did and suffered in the world, has purchased grace and holiness for His own people: “For their sakes,” He says, “I sanctify myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth” (John 17: 19). And Christ thus redeemed the elect and purchased grace for them, to the end that they might walk in holy practice. He has reconciled them to God by His death, to save them from wicked works, that they might be holy and unblameable in their lives, says the apostle Paul: “And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled in the body of his flesh through death, to present you holy, and unblameable, and unreproveable in his sight” (Col. 1: 21–22). When the angel appeared to Joseph, he told him that the child that should be born of Mary should be called Jesus, that is, Savior, because He should save His people from their sins (see Matt. 1: 21). Holiness of life is declared to be the end of redemption when it is said of Christ that He “gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works” (Titus 2: 14). And so we are told that Christ “died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again” (2 Cor. 5: 15). For this end, He is said to have offered Himself, through the eternal Spirit, without spot to God, that His blood might purge our conscience from dead works to serve the living God (see Heb. 9: 14).

From “All True Grace in the Heart Tends to Holy Practice in the Life,” p. 224

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. It is a very nice devotional. I am not saying that out of my bias because we publish it. Benge does an excellent job with his editing. I also highly recommend Lifting Up Our Hearts: The Prayers of John Calvin. It Is also edited by Benge. I can post samples from both if anyone is interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back