Just A Random Thought Of Mine

Status
Not open for further replies.

ValleyofVision

Puritan Board Freshman
So, this is a thought that has been circling around my brain the past few months and has become more intense as of late.

The thought is, is that I feel like I am not at the scholar level that most people on this board are at. I don’t tend to write much because sometimes, I think about the comments that could or might be made after I write something where it is ether critiquing or judging my comments. This could be an internal problem that I have or it is a legitimate observation that I have noticed over previous posts I’ve written on.

The question that I’ve been asking myself is, why, when we come to know Christ, do we (sometimes) develop and attitude of pride. I know that this is not everyone, and honestly I’m not even just focusing on this board only, it is just other followers of Christ that I have met as well.

Something I have observed since becoming a Christian:
When someone has adopted a particular lifestyle or been convicted about certain behaviors that are not necessarily shared by other Christians, they may begin to think of themselves as better than those who differ from them. For example: what if I did say “oh my gosh” or “oh my goodness”... would that make you any better of a Christian than me because you don’t say it, but I do? Or what if since becoming a Christian, I began to feel convicted about going to the movie theater because it plays inappropriate movies at times that don’t align with my faith, but my best friend sees no issue with it... would that make me a better example of Jesus than him?

Sorry to be rambling, just thoughts being poured out. Even though I will fail, I always want to be extremely careful with an attitude that doesn’t align with Christ.

Hi Josh,

"Knowledge puffs up, but love edifies." (1 Cor. 8:1b)

As believers, we need to use our knowledge to build others up. If we use our knowledge for the purpose of winning an argument, or making another look stupid, etc. etc., we are not reflecting God's image.

Too often we compare ourselves to others. It's sometimes easy to think of ourselves more highly than we ought. But the bottom line is this: if we compare ourselves to anyone but Christ, we are deceiving ourselves. When I compare myself to Christ, I realize that I have infinitely fallen short. When I seriously consider my own heart, it makes everyone else look better.

I hope that if/when someone on this board or elsewhere tells me that I'm being prideful that my first response is not defensive, but it is to step back and seriously consider it since I am prone to sin this way.

Knowledge is good when it's used righteously. This is wisdom.

I made this note in my journal the other day, feeling quite convicted by something I'd been reading -- it's very similar to the thoughts above. 'Note that self righteousness is always only a competition in which I am slightly besting some neighbor (so I am invested in tearing my neighbors down). Whereas true righteousness by grace makes us wish to build up our neighbor.'

So, this is a thought that has been circling around my brain the past few months and has become more intense as of late.

The thought is, is that I feel like I am not at the scholar level that most people on this board are at. I don’t tend to write much because sometimes, I think about the comments that could or might be made after I write something where it is ether critiquing or judging my comments. This could be an internal problem that I have or it is a legitimate observation that I have noticed over previous posts I’ve written on.

The question that I’ve been asking myself is, why, when we come to know Christ, do we (sometimes) develop and attitude of pride. I know that this is not everyone, and honestly I’m not even just focusing on this board only, it is just other followers of Christ that I have met as well.

Something I have observed since becoming a Christian:
When someone has adopted a particular lifestyle or been convicted about certain behaviors that are not necessarily shared by other Christians, they may begin to think of themselves as better than those who differ from them. For example: what if I did say “oh my gosh” or “oh my goodness”... would that make you any better of a Christian than me because you don’t say it, but I do? Or what if since becoming a Christian, I began to feel convicted about going to the movie theater because it plays inappropriate movies at times that don’t align with my faith, but my best friend sees no issue with it... would that make me a better example of Jesus than him?

Sorry to be rambling, just thoughts being poured out. Even though I will fail, I always want to be extremely careful with an attitude that doesn’t align with Christ.
These feelings that you may having may be more subjective than objective. You can be misinterpreting prideful for zeal. But it’s definitely a case to case matter. I’m pretty sure many have misinterpreted my Zeal for pride or being a you know what sometimes. And I’m sure many have thought of you that way too without you noticing. Remember on boards and threads your just reading words, you don’t really know how that person is truly expressing himself because you can’t see them or hear there tone. in my opinion

You, I, and the average Joe in the pew, will never attain the professional acumen of a good Reformed Pastor. This in of itself should not detour one asking ANYTHING here on the PB. I know where you are coming from, so far as being afraid to ask, and always read the responses with charity, especially from our Pastors.

For example: what if I did say “oh my gosh” or “oh my goodness”... would that make you any better of a Christian than me because you don’t say it, but I do?

The problem I see with your approach is that it would seem to militate for remaining silent when the situation calls for a word. Whether the situation calls for education (the more common here) or chastisement, a taking of the Lord's name in vain does not call for silence out of a false sense of humility.

Likewise, when you see excessive pride, call it out, as you have here.

I think you can always assume that we all, every single one of us, are full of pride.....that's just a given. As one who is full of pride and who has to fight with it on a daily basis, I can assure you that pride has many different hats. Some of those hats are obvious and some less obvious and take on a disguised form that might look like humbleness, meekness, kindness, self-pity, the forever teaching teacher, and an attitude of "I'm just tired of all the sin around me", etc.

I find myself having to apologize often to others either in public or in private.

Hopefully soon, I'll learn to think more charitably about my brothers and sisters and assume the best about them instead of thinking I know what's really in their heart.

So what's my point? You're preaching to choir. We all know we have more pride than we should. We're all striving to cling to Christ where we can find the humility that is ours in him. In the meantime, we love each other and try to help each other in love. It's a tough road we walk together, but Christ will give us the feet to walk it.

I don't think Christians necessarily have more pride than unbelievers--it just manifests differently, and is more unseemly in one who names the name of Christ. I have a lot more to say, but time forbids. No doubt by the time I get back someone will have said it better and more eloquently, so thanks in advance...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back