Korean Presbyterianism

Status
Not open for further replies.

arapahoepark

Puritan Board Doctor
Does anyone have info on the state of Presbyterianism in Korea? Any theological developments? Do they pay attention to such developments here in the states like Westminster east vs. West?
 
I think the Presbyterians there might be more divided than the ones in the States, with over a hundred denominations. I think generally they tend to be more evangelical than Reformed, but it varies. I know one of the larger ones is the Kosin group, which has fraternal relations with the OPC and CanRC. The Kosin group separated from HapDong, which is much larger, and more evangelical. Hopefully someone can fill in more information!
 
I don't know about Korean Presbyterianism, but about a month ago my family and I went to the Luther Monument at Wörms. We got there right as a large group from a Korean seminary descended upon the place.
 
There are many Korean Presbyterian churches in the High Desert of SoCal. I don't know anything about them because of the language barrier. Their presence does seem to be growing.
 
Well, I was trying to stay out of trouble, but since you asked...

I am referring to Presbyterian churches in South Korea, not Korean churches in the United States or elsewhere.

In short, Korean Presbyterianism tends to be:

1. Doctrinally weak and biblically illiterate
2. Non-confessional
3. Legalistic
4. Pietistic
5. Influenced by Pentecostalism
6. Financially corrupt
7. Rife with pastoral abuse

Of course, this isn't every church, and much of the same could be said of the American church as well.

I have lived in Korea for seven years and love it dearly. Please pray for the Presbyterian churches in Korea.
 
Jonathan, with the dizzying number of Korean denominations it can be quite challenging for those of us on the outside to make sense of the current church scene. Are there particular Presbyterian denominations that tend to avoid the problems you mention and perhaps fall more closely in line with NAPARC churches (OPC, PCA, ARP, etc...) here in the States?
 
Does anyone have info on the state of Presbyterianism in Korea? Any theological developments? Do they pay attention to such developments here in the states like Westminster east vs. West?

I know there is quite a Korean community in the metro Atlanta area with hundreds of churches. A Korean friend of mine says she used to go to church 9 times a week... every day at 6 am and some nights and extra on Sunday.. they are very disciplined in some ways.. I don't know much of national Korea but it's unusual South Korea is the most evangelical country in the world, North Korea tops the list for religious persecution
 
Ben, I don't know enough to answer your question. Our church is associated with the Hapdong denomination, which is the biggest "conservative" Presbyterian denomination, meaning they don't ordain women and it's officers are supposed to subscribe to Westminster. Before I came to my current church, I did attend another solid Hapdong church, but Hapdong tends to suffer from the same problems that I mentioned already. There is a more conservative denomination called Koshin that was associated with the OPC. Koshin is tiny and our Korean pastor, a conservative RTS grad, has a low opinion of it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top