Law and Gospel by John M. Frame

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, and again I say yes! Greenham is a figure too neglected. I absolutely love him, and I'm glad to find someone else who's even read him!

I much appreciate his meditation on Ps. 119. His explanation of knowledge consisting in generals and practice in particulars is very helpful for understanding Puritan practical divinity:

Teach me good judgment and knowledge: for I have believed thy commandments.

He maketh this prayer though he believed; because his knowledge was in generals, but his practice in particulars: therefore if God in the particulars did not direct him, he should fail in doing. Hereof cometh it, that the learnedst men are deceived in particulars, because they rest in their general knowledge.

Just a note of clarification. I thanked Marty for his post because he is correct to note a difference between Lutheran and Reformed formulations of the Law/Gospel distinction, and that Prof. Frame has touched on this. (Perkins' Galatians Commentary provides the basic Puritan exposition.) But I seriously doubt if Greenham can be claimed as holding to the Lutheran view.

Hello. It is good to have you back. You were missed, brother. :)

Yes, there is difference between the Lutheran and Reformed view of law/gospel, but how significant is it? I have worshipped in Lutheran Churches (MO Synod only) and always liked how their liturgy emphasised the law and gospel. Timothy Wengert has a great book entitled Law and Gospel where he shows how Melanchthon developed the law/gospel distinction. It appears that this distinction was a later developement within Lutheranism.

Yes, and again I say yes! Greenham is a figure too neglected. I absolutely love him, and I'm glad to find someone else who's even read him!

I much appreciate his meditation on Ps. 119. His explanation of knowledge consisting in generals and practice in particulars is very helpful for understanding Puritan practical divinity:

Teach me good judgment and knowledge: for I have believed thy commandments.

He maketh this prayer though he believed; because his knowledge was in generals, but his practice in particulars: therefore if God in the particulars did not direct him, he should fail in doing. Hereof cometh it, that the learnedst men are deceived in particulars, because they rest in their general knowledge.

Great quote and point! Where can this be found? Is it in his collected writings?

Has anyone interracted with this?

Conclusion
The sharp distinction between law and gospel is becoming popular in Reformed, as well as Lutheran circles. It is the view of Westminster Seminary California, Modern Reformation magazine, and the White Horse Inn radio broadcast. The leaders of these organizations are very insistent that theirs is the only biblical view of the matter. One has recently claimed that people who hold a different view repudiate the Reformation and even deny the gospel itself. On that view, we must use the term gospel only in what the Formula calls the “proper” sense, not in the biblical sense. I believe that we should stand with the Scriptures against this tradition.​

Back to the original question, this is no surprise coming from the professor who taught us in class: "All the Law is Gospel and all the Gospel is Law."

He's a philosopher by training who should have made a good career doing philosophy and apologetics, but all too often involves himself in discussions of which he has no knowledge.

Has anyone interracted with this?

Conclusion
The sharp distinction between law and gospel is becoming popular in Reformed, as well as Lutheran circles. It is the view of Westminster Seminary California, Modern Reformation magazine, and the White Horse Inn radio broadcast. The leaders of these organizations are very insistent that theirs is the only biblical view of the matter. One has recently claimed that people who hold a different view repudiate the Reformation and even deny the gospel itself. On that view, we must use the term gospel only in what the Formula calls the “proper” sense, not in the biblical sense. I believe that we should stand with the Scriptures against this tradition.​

Back to the original question, this is no surprise coming from the professor who taught us in class: "All the Law is Gospel and all the Gospel is Law."

He's a philosopher by training who should have made a good career doing philosophy and apologetics, but all too often involves himself in discussions of which he has no knowledge.

Thank you for the clarification. Others have made that same statement, "All the law is gospel and all the gospel is law."

Rev. Hyde,

I only read the article once, but I didn't see Frame saying "All the Law is Gospel and all the Gospel is Law" (I know you said you heard that in class, not necessarily the article). To be honest, I found little to quibble with in this article, and generally agreed with the sentiments expressed. Could you explain what you believe is erroneous in this article?

Thanks. :)

I have great respect for Timothy Wengert's work. Nevertheless, there is considerable evidence in Luther between 1513-19 that he was beginning to work out this distinction before Melanchthon had great influence on his hermeneutic. No doubt there was mutual interchange and influence, but drawing clear lines in such investigations, esp. when the development of L's theology in that period was so fluid, is difficult.

As to covenant theology and law and gospel, I wrote a book on Olevianus, part of the burden of which, was to argue that the Reformed adopted and adapted covenant theology to express essentially the same L/G distinction as found in L and M. Olevianus had no idea that he was advocating an utterly distinct view of L/G over against Luther or Melanchthon. Neither did Calvin. The sharp lines we draw between Lutheran and Reformed were forming in this period but they were still fluid and they frequently used the adjective "evangelical" to encompass L, M, C, and Bucer among many others.

In the confessional period things became clear and lines harder, but even so I doubt that the L/G hermeneutic in the Book of Concord or in Lutheran orthodoxy is fundamentally different from that which one finds in Reformed orthodoxy.

I don't dispute that there are differences, but if anyone says that the Reformed don't say that "do" is law and "done" is gospel, I say that one doesn't know the sources or the history of the doctrine.

I thought this dragon was slain during the FV controversy. Do we have to do it all over again? Do all the quotations from Beza, Ursinus, Perkins et al mean nothing?

Didn't we analyze Frame's essay years ago on the PB?

But I seriously doubt if Greenham can be claimed as holding to the Lutheran view.

Dear Matthew, thanks as always for your input. Greenham's views are particularly manifest in his Catechism. In particular you may wish to look at John Primus' work Richard Greenham the Portrait of an Elizabethan Pastor in which he has a chapter updating some earlier research he did on Greenham's position concerning the law / gospel distinction. (I don't agree with everything Primus says in the book, but on this point he makes a good case).

Cheers brother.

Brother Marty, Thankyou for the reference; but Primus is really Secundus, and the real Primus is the Works of Greenham, which I have read with much profit over the years. Blessings!

:lol: Who but an Australian would have the audacity to say such a thing. :lol:

Great quote and point! Where can this be found? Is it in his collected writings?

That is in his Works, in the meditations on Ps. 119, under the verse cited. I'm surprised the meditations are not generally quoted in dealing with the subject of practical divinity, seeing it is such a succinct example of it.

Hello. It is good to have you back. You were missed, brother. :)

Yes, there is difference between the Lutheran and Reformed view of law/gospel, but how significant is it? I have worshipped in Lutheran Churches (MO Synod only) and always liked how their liturgy emphasised the law and gospel. Timothy Wengert has a great book entitled Law and Gospel where he shows how Melanchthon developed the law/gospel distinction. It appears that this distinction was a later developement within Lutheranism.

Thanks. I'm glad to have a little more strength so I can interact here.

I think you are right about the formulation being a later development, and it is also true that the Antinomian controversies forced Luther himself to give greater weight to the regulative use of the law. Nevertheless, the distinction as it stands today leaves us with two views, and it is undoubtedly the case that the reformed view contains a use of the law in Christian sanctification which is more conscious and normative than the Lutheran view.

I don't dispute that there are differences, but if anyone says that the Reformed don't say that "do" is law and "done" is gospel, I say that one doesn't know the sources or the history of the doctrine.

Prof. Clark, Have you had the opportunity to read Samuel Rutherford yet?

Last edited:
I thought this dragon was slain during the FV controversy. Do we have to do it all over again?
What is the connection, specifically, between the ideas in Frame's essay and the FV? Dr. Clark, do you see this essay as upholding an inherently FV position on L/G?
Didn't we analyze Frame's essay years ago on the PB?
I don't remember this -- can anyone find the thread that this was discussed on? :think:

Casey,

do YOU think there are any FV ideas in Frame's article?

You clearly care about it more than I do!

Why don't you teach me? I have very little interest in re-reading this piece. Life is short and getting shorter. I'm all eyes.

rsc

As to John Frame, he's never identified himself completely with the FV . . .
So, do you see FV ideas in this article by Frame? :um: I'm looking forward to a response to my above post. Thanks, Dr. Clark.

Casey,

do YOU think there are any FV ideas in Frame's article?

You clearly care about it more than I do!

Why don't you teach me? I have very little interest in re-reading this piece. Life is short and getting shorter. I'm all eyes.

rsc
With all due respect, why are you posting on a thread that is intended to interact with this specific article, if you won't read it?

And on top of that, you suggest a connection with the FV and are unwilling to explain yourself? :confused:

I don't understand the reason for the apparent abrasiveness of your response. Was there something inappropriate about my question to you?

Dr. Clark,
It seems to be your view that either we accept your view of law and gospel or we might as well go ahead and embrace FV and/or go back to Rome?

Am I reading you correctly?

CT
Perhaps your (our) question was already answered on another thread? (see red bolded part)
Are we in a time warp? Have the last 8 years not happened? Have the OPC, URCs, and PCA not spoken with one voice on this (not to mention the OCRCs and the RPCGA)?

Why are we starting from scratch, as if there were no books, articles, and denominational documents on this matter?

Note to the Mods: I thought the PB had some sort of official position contra the FV and its promulgation on the site? Has there been a policy shift?

It seems that the law/gospel distinction is up for grabs, so perhaps the FV is back on the table again. If so, I'd like to know about it.

Lutheranism:

Law = commands (imperative)
Gospel = promise (indicative)

Reformed

Law = covenant of works ("do then and live" - commands and then promise)
Gospel = covenant of grace ("live and then do this" - promise and then commands)

One crux is whether the gospel contains commands. For example, does the gospel call us to repentance? For Lutherans no, for the Reformed yes. But it is a repentance that arises from being justified (not to be justified).

The gospel commands repentance out of reconciliation with Christ. But my actual repentance is not the gospel.

Thanks for the post. I was a Lutheran pastor for about 18 years, but became Reformed several years ago and came to the same conclusions regarding the law/gospel distinction. I forget where the question is, but I was asking for any kind of linkage between law/gospel and covenant theology. However, I do think the imperative/indicative distinction to also be quite valid.

I also think it very significant to note that "repentance arises from being justified (not to be justified)." This sheer grace is what people so often react - negatively - towards when they first encounter it.

Thanks again.

Marty, what you have stated does not convince we there is a difference between the Lutheran and Reformed understanding of the law/gospel.

Scott Clark has a great chapter on the law/gospel in his book Covenant, Justification, and Pastoral Ministry. On page 340 he rejects the idea that the distinction is Lutheran and not Reformed. If you take the time to read his book it is apparent that the FV does reject the Reformed understanding of the law/gospel hermeneutic. I found this chapter to be very helpful.

We know that. We know what RSC's position is. We are simply stating that one can disagree with RSC and still be Reformed.

Scott Clark has a great chapter on the law/gospel in his book Covenant, Justification, and Pastoral Ministry. On page 340 he rejects the idea that the distinction is Lutheran and not Reformed. If you take the time to read his book it is apparent that the FV does reject the Reformed understanding of the law/gospel hermeneutic. I found this chapter to be very helpful.

We know that. We know what RSC's position is. We are simply stating that one can disagree with RSC and still be Reformed.

Nope, if I am reading this thread properly; the discussion is whether RSC's position is in fact reformed or antinomian?

MODERATOR VOICE ON

Far enough guys (everybody). Let's stick to discussing the article by Frame. Anything else is off limits for this thread. If you want to talk about Dr. Clark's views etc. start a new thread.

MODERATOR VOICE OFF

MODERATOR VOICE ON

Far enough guys (everybody). Let's stick to discussing the article by Frame. Anything else is off limits for this thread. If you want to talk about Dr. Clark's views etc. the thread has been cited here - follow that up if you will.

MODERATOR VOICE OFF

Don't you have to unlock the other thread first?

CT

MODERATOR VOICE ON

Far enough guys (everybody). Let's stick to discussing the article by Frame. Anything else is off limits for this thread. If you want to talk about Dr. Clark's views etc. the thread has been cited here - follow that up if you will.

MODERATOR VOICE OFF

Don't you have to unlock the other thread first?

CT

Hey man you don't have to make me look like an idiot! :lol:

If a thread has been locked down I am hesitant to open it. Just start a new thread with the appropriate title then.

*I have edited the original post for graphic display of ignorance.*

MODERATOR VOICE ON

Far enough guys (everybody). Let's stick to discussing the article by Frame. Anything else is off limits for this thread. If you want to talk about Dr. Clark's views etc. start a new thread.

MODERATOR VOICE OFF

Just wondering, has this discussion got confused because Dr. Frame drastically overstated the case in slamming the law/gospel distinction in the OP?

MODERATOR VOICE ON

MODERATOR VOICE OFF

Just wondering, has this discussion got confused because Dr. Frame drastically overstated the case in slamming the law/gospel distinction in the OP?

Perhaps. What this is coming down to is really a matter of who's view of the Reformed Confessions is idiosyncratic.

I will be the first to admit that Dr. Frame writes and says some things that I don't believe are Confessional but that doesn't make it a maxim that every critique he utters is, a priori, false. I actually believe there is a kernel of truth to what he states and you don't have to become a neo-nomian to agree with the critique as far as it goes.

It doesn't really help the case of truth when those in error see a large crowd of those who reject their views and a small percentage are actually orthodox but a vast majority are criticizing them because they clash with their own idiosyncratic views. It doesn't give the FV any excuse for their own error but I imagine it must be galling when you are condemned for being un-Confessional and a great number of those raising their hand represent Churches where the charge of being un-Confessional could strike them from another corner. There are many more warts than the FV on the hide of NAPARC congregations.

What exactly is useful about this essay? What do we learn from JMF here that we can't or haven't learned from those who are not pluralist when it comes to the doctrine of justification?

Am I intolerant of the FV? You bet I am. I just spend 8 years doing little else but dealing with the academic and ecclesiastical consequences of the FV.

The FV is a profoundly dangerous movement because it corrupts the gospel and corrupts Reformed theology. I think John is dangerous because I think he's a sort of theological gateway drug to moralism. Like the moderates (e.g. Charles Eerdman) at Princeton leading up to 1929 John is a facilitator. He may be personally orthodox but he's quite critical of confessionalists like me who insist that everyone in our churches be orthodox.

In the long run its the facilitators that do the real damage. Without the Charles Eerdmans and the others like him, maybe the confessionalists wouldn't have been routed the way they were. The moderates made it possible for error to win because they were tolerant of error.

In its most extreme forms the FV is fairly easy to spot as serious error. In more moderate forms its harder to spot. It took me a while to figure out what John Barach was doing with baptism and union with Christ.

People reading JMF on justification might come to think that well, perhaps the FV isn't so bad after all. No, it's really bad. It's as bad as the PCA, the OPC, and the URCs, and the RCUS, the RPCGA, and the OCRCs say it is -- but what do they know, most of them (except the PCA) are just small churches (says JMF) and their views don't count.

Yes, we can learn from everyone but I guess I take the view that, in a place like the PB, readers, especially those who are new to the Reformed faith, ought not to be encouraged to read writers such as JMF or those with whom he keeps literary company.

It seems to me that it is a fundamental, sacred duty of a Reformed minister to be absolutely clear and unequivocal about what the gospel is. The gospel is good news, that Christ has accomplished something for us and that is received through faith (trusting, resting, receiving) alone.

The gospel is not that we all baptized persons are united to Christ in baptism and therefore historically, conditionally elect, justified, adopted and that those benefits must be retained by grace, through faith and works. This is not a message that should be tolerated or encouraged in the least.

John Frame has tolerated and encouraged the FV. Yes he dissents personally from this view or that (e.g. Shepherd's denial of the imputation of the active obedience of Christ) but he doesn't think that we ought to be critical of those who advocate them.

I appreciate John's apologetics and his staunch defense of the inerrancy of Scripture. His writing on justification hasn't been nearly as helpful, however. Indeed, it's been less than helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back