Learning Russian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Presbyterian

Puritanboard Amanuensis
Anyone know of some resources/books that would to learn Russian? I realize a language like Russian would have hundreds of dialects so direction as to the "right " dialect would also be helpful.
 
I wouldn't fret about dialects, etc. Just learning the basic Russian language will do you fine. Everyone speaks Russian over there, even if they also know Chuvashian, Ukrainian, etc.

Needn't give yourself fits over tenses of nouns, etc. In other words,, the general word for book is kniga (kuh-NEE-guh). Even though it should technically change depending upon who is speaking to whom, the truth is if you just say kniga all speakers-of-Russian will know that you mean book.

Might start here: Russian Lessons .Net - Free Online Russian Language Lessons.
 
Even though Russian has 6 cases, or more than Greek (well, according to the 5-case classification system anyway), I think you'll find it easier to learn. Shla Sasha passashe i sasala sushki
 
I joined the U.S. Army in 1971 to learn Russian. You might not be that hardcore :lol:. Russian has one advantage over most Romance Languages - it is pronounced just like it is spelled. The most helpful grammar I used was by Pulkina, but I think it is out of print. I think trying to audit a college Russian 101 course would be a great start.
 
I wouldn't fret about dialects, etc. Just learning the basic Russian language will do you fine. Everyone speaks Russian over there, even if they also know Chuvashian, Ukrainian, etc.

Needn't give yourself fits over tenses of nouns, etc. In other words,, the general word for book is kniga (kuh-NEE-guh). Even though it should technically change depending upon who is speaking to whom, the truth is if you just say kniga all speakers-of-Russian will know that you mean book.

Might start here: Russian Lessons .Net - Free Online Russian Language Lessons.

:um:

[language snob mode]

Verbs have tenses. Nouns have declensions.

[/language snob mode]

If you're going to learn a language, learn it correctly! liber, libri, libro, librum, libro, libri, librorum, libris, libros, libris! :2cents:
 
I joined the U.S. Army in 1971 to learn Russian. You might not be that hardcore :lol:. Russian has one advantage over most Romance Languages - it is pronounced just like it is spelled. The most helpful grammar I used was by Pulkina, but I think it is out of print. I think trying to audit a college Russian 101 course would be a great start.

Well already did my 4 in the USMC...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top