Looking for Bible-Only Tracts

Status
Not open for further replies.

W.C. Dean

Puritan Board Sophomore
I need some help brethren. I have a big box of tracts from the OPC's website that I really like. They are solid Gospel presentations, but they are rather long as far as tracts go. Can anyone recommend any very short tracts that only contain or mostly contain Scripture? I haven't been able to find them yet on my own and old Board threads about tracts mostly have broken links or dead websites. Thank you!
 
Out of curiosity, why are you interested in tracts with only Scripture? I'm just trying to think through how somebody would receive various verses without context or somebody teaching what they mean. Also, these are in King James language, which I would imagine someone not familiar with Old English would struggle with. It kind of reminds me of the Ethiopian being evangelized to. The text was hard for him to understand and he needed somebody to help him understand it. I'm not saying this is bad or wrong or anything like that, just wondering what the reasoning is to not have anything but scripture. But I commend you for evangelizing!
 
Warren, if it helps any, I prefer to use tracts from Grange Press which are free. My favourite one is probably 'Have you come to the divine physician?'. They're to the point and are saturated with Scripture.
 
Warren, if it helps any, I prefer to use tracts from Grange Press which are free. My favourite one is probably 'Have you come to the divine physician?'. They're to the point and are saturated with Scripture.

That's it! That is what I was looking for when I adjusted to watch this thread. I don't know if this helps Warren, but you helped me, brother! God bless you! :)
 
Out of curiosity, why are you interested in tracts with only Scripture? I'm just trying to think through how somebody would receive various verses without context or somebody teaching what they mean. Also, these are in King James language, which I would imagine someone not familiar with Old English would struggle with. It kind of reminds me of the Ethiopian being evangelized to. The text was hard for him to understand and he needed somebody to help him understand it. I'm not saying this is bad or wrong or anything like that, just wondering what the reasoning is to not have anything but scripture. But I commend you for evangelizing!
The KJV is Early Modern English. Old English would be stuff like Beowulf and what early English saints like Bede and Augustine of Canterbury would've spoken. You can make stuff out, but it's not easy. The difficulty of the KJV, however, is exaggerated. We have a reading comprehension problem, not a translation problem. Technically more of a spiritual problem, but I'm already on one soapbox so I digress.

The Ethiopian eunuch couldn't understand because he hadn't yet heard the Gospel. He could read it, but it didn't make sense to him without knowing who the passage was referring to. So you raise a good point here about what the focus of the tracts should be to really be helpful. Looking at their Everlasting Life one, TBS doesn't appear to disappoint in showing you who Jesus is, what He did and what He does now for the faithful.

As for why tracts with only Scripture, he said the ones he's found that have other things on them are too long so it seems it's for the sake of brevity. Theologically, it's Scripture that convicts:
but the Spirit of God bearing witness by and with the scriptures in the heart of man, is alone able fully to persuade it that they are the very word of God.6
Westminster Larger Catechism Question 4
 
The KJV is Early Modern English. Old English would be stuff like Beowulf and what early English saints like Bede and Augustine of Canterbury would've spoken. You can make stuff out, but it's not easy. The difficulty of the KJV, however, is exaggerated. We have a reading comprehension problem, not a translation problem.
All textual discussion aside, thank you for stating this. You literally said the same thing I say when people call it Old English, referring to Beowulf and Canterbury Tales – yes, it's older English, but it's not Old. If a person were to pick up an Old English book, they couldn't make heads or tails of it. Also, shakespeare/&c. becomes required reading in most schools around the age of 13. If anything, I think a lot of people in the (R/r)eformed Christian circles homeschool, and would have even earlier exposure through a more classical education, and the like. There is definitely a glitch in the system when they reject the former based on reading comprehension, but admit the latter.
 
Hello MyCrows, in this thread you shared this track as images. Is there somewhere we can go to print these? Could you share a PDF or a link to a word or google doc?
Sure, I think these are the PDFs I used to print my last batch. Just print the front first, flip the page end for end, then print the back onto the same sheet.
 

Attachments

I also did not add a cut schematic, or page numbers, I had it memorized.

I used a paper guillotine to make 2 cuts horizontally, then cut each of those 3 resulting straps in half. Then had to reference my assembled tract for the order before stacking and stapling.

Kind of a crude setup, but it gets the job done!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top