Lousy Advertising for Reformed theology...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokingFlax

Puritan Board Sophomore
Ok...so why is it that the Reformed/Calvinistic view of theology is so poorly represented in our media saturated culture? I mean, if it weren't for R.C. Sproul I would probably still be feeding on the husks and gruel of the typical fare of contemporary Churchianity (and being deeply bothered by it) or being tempted by fringe groups and fanatics because at least they appear to be 'sold out'.

I think that the internet might be the best thing for Reformed theology since Jonathan Edwards. It took me 9 years as a Christian before I even heard a fair portrayal/representation of Calvinism!

What can we do about it?

I know this the the stereotypical "Sunday school answer," but we should always pray - pray for God to create opportunities for accurate exposure. While we should also look for direct, hands-on ways to spread the truth as well, we always need to be careful we're not letting them shift the importance of prayer in our minds and schedules with regard to the issue.

In Christ,

Chris

Reformed Theology spreads in a very disciple oriented way, and I like that. I don't know how else we should try to do it.

But we shouldn't be too concerned...because God's sovreign! :lol:

[b:1405ee5bbd]Christopher wrote:[/b:1405ee5bbd]
Ok...so why is it that the Reformed/Calvinistic view of theology is so poorly represented in our media saturated culture?

This may be a dumb answer, but I think its portrayed so poorly because of the very nature of the theology. Our culture is such a "me centered" culture and the reformed theology isn't about me. Its not about me deciding at my convenience to accept Jesus, when and if I decide that I want to accept him. The idea that our free will may not be the ultimate deciding factor just doesn't jive with the world.

Bob

[quote:31eb164ddd]This may be a dumb answer, but I think its portrayed so poorly because of the very nature of the theology. Our culture is such a "me centered" culture and the reformed theology isn't about me. Its not about me deciding at my convenience to accept Jesus, when and if I decide that I want to accept him. The idea that our free will may not be the ultimate deciding factor just doesn't jive with the world.[/quote:31eb164ddd]

It may be a dumb answer, but it's the same answer I was going to give. And I think it's spot on.

I think that one reason is that Reformed churches and people tend to be inward facing. That is to say, Reformed energies tend to be more devoted to maintaining the status quo or improving what they have rather than making new disciples. If you look at dollars and time (two good measures of priorities), little money or time is spent on outreach or evangelism (collectively speaking, and there are many exceptions). Money and time tends to be more devoted more toward teaching people who are already there, often trying to develop an ever more highly nuanced understanding of things.

The Reformed history of missions, for example, has been weak. It was one of the Roman Catholic criticisms at the time of Reformation.

Media works. I am at a small presbyterian church and a number of the families at our church came to understand Reformed theology through the media of Sproul, White Horse Inn, and others. They would not be there if it were not for the media.

Scott

[Edited on 6-1-2004 by Scott]

Chrisopher:

I am in the Dallas area and would be happy to help (your signature block asks for help finding a church) you find a Reformed church. Mine is probably too far for you (I am now in NE Tarrant County but used to live in Dallas) but I know the churches fairly well.

I would encourage you to do this as soon as possible. A proper ecclesiology was central to the Reformation.

For example, the Westminster Confession reads in part:

[quote:553fc92e5d]
The visible church, which is also catholic or universal under the gospel (not confined to one nation, as before under the law), consists of all those throughout the world that profess the true religion; and of their children: and is the kingdom of the Lord Jesus Christ, the house and family of God, out of which there is no ordinary possibility of salvation.
[/quote:553fc92e5d]

You will note that there is ordinarily no possiblity of salvation outside of the institutional church.

Scott

I guess I'm just plain dumb as I was simply unaware of the basic controversies that have been raging within protestantism for centuries (Dispensational vs covenantal, arminian vs reformed, etc.). Once I became aware of the issues then it followed logically...what do I think about (this)? It seems to me that the reformed position is so consistently scriptural and logical (and historical) as to be undeniable in most cases.

I know PLENTY of people who are put off by what is perceived of as "the church" because of all of the hucksterism and glitz as well as the milquetoast "Jesus" that is presented. I think that if the issues between the schools of thought were brought more clearly into the open and presented to the church world at large many disaffected church people would be swayed towards the reformed camp (like myself). There are MANY of them out there.

Perhaps I am simply naive here and expect people to act on the weight of logic and evidence. I realize that God is soveriegn but that still does not absolve us of our responsibility to the truth.

The fact is, as Scott mentioned, media does work. It was through reading an editorial by a rabid liberal columnist who slandered Calvin while expressing alarm and terror at the prospect of a resurgence of Calvinism in our culture that began to pique my interest in Calvin. I reasoned that if this antichrist witch is so against this guy then there must be something good here...

:D

I'm convinced that most people simply just DO NOT KNOW THE ISSUES and controversies in which they are unwittingly involved in. And the churches, by and large, are simply not teaching about basic protestant history and doctrine, etc. I am a perfect example.

How can people come to the truth if it is hardly being proclaimed?

I will agree that the reformed theology is definitely NOT for our "me generation" and that it can often take a lot of hard work, study, and time to grasp its excellence -but then again, as you've mentioned, God is sovereign.

[quote:1c4340d891][i:1c4340d891]Originally posted by blhowes[/i:1c4340d891]
[b:1c4340d891]Christopher wrote:[/b:1c4340d891]
Ok...so why is it that the Reformed/Calvinistic view of theology is so poorly represented in our media saturated culture?

This may be a dumb answer, but I think its portrayed so poorly because of the very nature of the theology. Our culture is such a "me centered" culture and the reformed theology isn't about me. Its not about me deciding at my convenience to accept Jesus, when and if I decide that I want to accept him. The idea that our free will may not be the ultimate deciding factor just doesn't jive with the world.

Bob [/quote:1c4340d891]

What he said!!!:ditto:

Me, me, me, it's all about me. Because I'm not like the rest of you slobs; I am SPECIAL!!

I gotta be me!

I did it my way!

Me and my shadow!

Seriously I know where you're coming from, though. I actually "stumbled" (I know there's no such thing, but it sure wasn't MY IDEA) across Calvinism...I read Romans Chapter 9. It's a loooong story, but I didn't "go looking" for this. As a matter of fact, I tried to make smarter people than me explain it away, and if they had done a halfway decent job I would have been thrilled. Calvinism flies in the face of democracy, doesn't it?

I think all we can really do is pray and STUDY this stuff (which is HARD) so that we can be used by God to further His plans.

Or we could form a small, elite force who root out evil wherever we find it. Only we'd be better shots than the A-Team ever was.

Mary :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back