Machenpalooza in 2023?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
Will we have a Machenpalooza in 2023? After all, both Christianity and Liberalism and New Testament Greek for Beginners will be 100 years old next year.

It could happen!

Seems like a lot of cut up quotes without the full context, but also, I don't expect perfect men as there are none and we all have our blind spots and sin. I know you were being sarcastic, but I wanted to take the opportunity to point out how bad the argumentation is from the woke crowd.
Do you think the full context makes him say something different?

Do you think the full context makes him say something different?
I covered those bases I believe. It's possible it does not, but the person posting is a liberal and there is usually a reason why they cut up quotes rather than post the full thing or at least give a full reference. In any case, there is likely more to the story. It is very possible though that Machen was in error and sin on this particular subject.

Seems like a lot of cut up quotes without the full context, but also, I don't expect perfect men as there are none and we all have our blind spots and sin. I know you were being sarcastic, but I wanted to take the opportunity to point out how bad the argumentation is from the woke crowd.
True we don't know the full context, but those quotes taken as is are quite disappointing.

There seems to be dual tendencies when these issues of race come up. One holds that "racism" is the most sinful sin one can commit. These days it seems to be the one unpardonable sin to be labeled a "racist"(however loosely that term is defined.) The other tendency seems to be to cover up such troublesome discoveries and label the person pointing it out as being "woke."

True racism is a sin. It is a sin against a fellow image bearer and a sin against Justice. If those quotes are an accurate reflection of Machen's views of blacks than those sins would need to be repented of. However I refuse to join the Cancel Train and pretend that his being a racist is worse than if it were discovered he was a Communist.

True we don't know the full context, but those quotes taken as is are quite disappointing.

There seems to be dual tendencies when these issues of race come up. One holds that "racism" is the most sinful sin one can commit. These days it seems to be the one unpardonable sin to be labeled a "racist"(however loosely that term is defined.) The other tendency seems to be to cover up such troublesome discoveries and label the person pointing it out as being "woke."

True racism is a sin. It is a sin against a fellow image bearer and a sin against Justice. If those quotes are an accurate reflection of Machen's views of blacks than those sins would need to be repented of. However I refuse to join the Cancel Train and pretend that his being a racist is worse than if it were discovered he was a Communist.
Well said

Seems I successfully derailed this thread with my Twitter grenade. :)
I have mixed feelings about this because I'm excited about the hundredth anniversary of Christianity and Liberalism but would shed no tears if I never had to think about New Testament Greek for Beginners ever again.

I have mixed feelings about this because I'm excited about the hundredth anniversary of Christianity and Liberalism but would shed no tears if I never had to think about New Testament Greek for Beginners ever again.
Why is that? I think I have it lying around somewhere, but I’ve never had to use it.

Why is that? I think I have it lying around somewhere, but I’ve never had to use it.
It was the standard first semester Greek textbook at Westminster (how could they use anything else?) so all the memories of the struggles of learning Greek are connected to that book. So not a criticism of the book itself compared to other options since it's the only one I ever used (though I do know that some of the students who were familiar with other intros found it a little more difficult).

It was the standard first semester Greek textbook at Westminster (how could they use anything else?) so all the memories of the struggles of learning Greek are connected to that book. So not a criticism of the book itself compared to other options since it's the only one I ever used (though I do know that some of the students who were familiar with other intros found it a little more difficult).

My Greek course: first year - Machen; second year: Dana & Mantey; third year: A. T. Robertson's big book. This was back in the 1980s.

I covered those bases I believe. It's possible it does not, but the person posting is a liberal and there is usually a reason why they cut up quotes rather than post the full thing or at least give a full reference. In any case, there is likely more to the story. It is very possible though that Machen was in error and sin on this particular subject.
To call Cho a liberal is an extreme understatement.

I think that R. Scott Clark handled this well on the Heidelblog.

Not to derail but, since when is Baltimore in the South? Drive north on 95 for a little over an hour and you're in Philadelphia.

View attachment 9039
A lot of people use the Mason-Dixie line to delineate.
Right. I guess my personal criteria is which side did the state go with in the Civil War. Yes, Maryland had it's share of traitors who fought for the Confederacy but it was a Union state. Placing Baltimore in the South also means that the Capitol of the Union was in the South.

Anyway, I digress.

I am glad I was able to test out of first year Greek at WTS (I took three years of classical Greek in undergrad). When I looked at Machen's book, I was dismayed at how disorganized the book was. The topics were not introduced in a logical kind of order. Mounce is so much better.

I am glad I was able to test out of first year Greek at WTS (I took three years of classical Greek in undergrad). When I looked at Machen's book, I was dismayed at how disorganized the book was. The topics were not introduced in a logical kind of order. Mounce is so much better.
I'm glad to hear that I have a suitable excuse for my subpar Greek skills...

since when is Baltimore in the South?
Don't look at the map, look at the culture. Spend some time in Baltimore, and it will feel at least somewhat southern. Compared to Philly or New York, people are friendly and unhurried. Homes are spread out from each other. Country music is reasonably cool. Veggies are cooked until they're mushy.

Don't look at the map, look at the culture. Spend some time in Baltimore, and it will feel at least somewhat southern. Compared to Philly or New York, people are friendly and unhurried. Homes are spread out from each other. Country music is reasonably cool. Veggies are cooked until they're mushy.

If that's your criteria of what the South is you could also say that a large percentage of rural PA is in the South. Drive through northern PA and you'll see more rebel flags than in NC where I live. You'll also encounter friendly people who drive and talk slow. Turn on the radio and Country and Christian broadcasting rule. So maybe the divide is between rural and urban. Even in my home state of NJ there are parts where pick up trucks and camo is the norm. I still use the Civil War as the barometer. Maryland was a Union state. Despite being a slave state and some of her sons taking up arms against their country's and state's legitimate government, she remained loyal.

On the other hand, Raleigh has the feel of a small northeastern city now. The same is true I believe for other cities in the South such as Atlanta.

If that's your criteria of what the South is you could also say that a large percentage of rural PA is in the South. Drive through northern PA and you'll see more rebel flags than in NC where I live. You'll also encounter friendly people who drive and talk slow. Turn on the radio and Country and Christian broadcasting rule. So maybe the divide is between rural and urban. Even in my home state of NJ there are parts where pick up trucks and camo is the norm. I still use the Civil War as the barometer. Maryland was a Union state. Despite being a slave state and some of her sons taking up arms against their country's and state's legitimate government, she remained loyal.

On the other hand, Raleigh has the feel of a small northeastern city now. The same is true I believe for other cities in the South such as Atlanta.
Oh yeah, my husband also noted that rural southern PA has more confederate flags than North Carolina.

Many Civil War historians agree that Maryland would probably have seceded to the south if they had a chance to--Lincoln prevented the governmental bodies there from convening in order to vote on secession. Whether this was constitutional has been debated, however if he had not, many agree that the Union capital would have been completely surrounded by confederate territory and that would have been a pretty impractical way to wage a war; thus, he did whatever he had to to prevent that (in order to get to D.C., Lincoln had to travel through Baltimore; it was feared an assassination attempt would be made there so Lincoln traveled through Baltimore undercover).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back