Mr. Bultitude
Puritan Board Freshman
John Piper says in Fifty Reasons Why Jesus Came to Die:
This presents me with some questions.
1. Though of course God's saving grace is a free act and not something he was "bound" to do, wasn't he willing to do it because of how he created us? He created us to be his image-bearers and to glorify us. Animals have neither purpose, so for that reason alone he wouldn't have been willing to die for them. Am I off-base here? (Side note: our status as image-bearers is why we have so great a debt, I think. We are stewarding a great treasure and have discarded it.)
2. Haven't animals rebelled from God's purposes? The fall affected not only man, but all of creation. Man is supposed to steward and shepherd the animals. Now animals are wild and will even attack and eat humans. All of the great predators of land and sea have been known to make meals of man, if I'm not mistaken. Is that not rebellion?
I have heard it said, “God didn’t die for frogs. So he was responding to our value as humans.” This turns grace on its head. We are worse off than frogs. They have not sinned. They have not rebelled and treated God with the contempt of being inconsequential in their lives. God did not have to die for frogs. They aren’t bad enough. We are. Our debt is so great, only a divine sacrifice could pay it.
This presents me with some questions.
1. Though of course God's saving grace is a free act and not something he was "bound" to do, wasn't he willing to do it because of how he created us? He created us to be his image-bearers and to glorify us. Animals have neither purpose, so for that reason alone he wouldn't have been willing to die for them. Am I off-base here? (Side note: our status as image-bearers is why we have so great a debt, I think. We are stewarding a great treasure and have discarded it.)
2. Haven't animals rebelled from God's purposes? The fall affected not only man, but all of creation. Man is supposed to steward and shepherd the animals. Now animals are wild and will even attack and eat humans. All of the great predators of land and sea have been known to make meals of man, if I'm not mistaken. Is that not rebellion?