Mark Driscoll: Church needs dudes

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is not emergent. He broke strongly with that movement years ago. Plus, he actually believes in rational truth, so he really cannot be emergent.

As to dudes: It was a very derogatory term where I grew up. It still is to a large degree. I have witnessed and been in more that one 'scuffle' that ensued from that being hurled at someone.

Recently several college-aged young men left our church because there weren't enough girls. Go figure that out.

From living in Northern California all my life, "dude" doesn't seem offensive but is more slang and informal for a male. Thus, to a friend of mine I could say, "What's up, dude?" Or for a heretic I could say, "He's a dangerous dude." I could even speak about somebody on the PB and say, "He seems like a cool dude." Really, I wasn't even aware that "dude" was commonly offensive in other parts of the country, though perhaps I should have expected that to be the case since what is often normal here is disturbing to outsiders.

From living in Northern California all my life, "dude" doesn't seem offensive but is more slang and informal for a male. Thus, to a friend of mine I could say, "What's up, dude?" Or for a heretic I could say, "He's a dangerous dude." I could even speak about somebody on the PB and say, "He seems like a cool dude." Really, I wasn't even aware that "dude" was commonly offensive in other parts of the country, though perhaps I should have expected that to be the case since what is often normal here is disturbing to outsiders.

Andrew, I've never heard it used as an offensive term either - its used very casually by most people I know and girls are often called "dudes" too. I think this may be a generational thing.

Andrew, I've never heard it used as an offensive term either - its used very casually by most people I know and girls are often called "dudes" too. I think this may be a generational thing.
I thought girls were called 'dudettes'. I sometimes exclaim 'Duderonomy!' when something good happens, but I'm just weird - at least that's what my kids tell me when I do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back