Mentor Commentaries

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
Does anyone have an opinion about the Mentor series commentaries? Several are now in print. Also, does anyone know who will write the volume(s) on Psalms?

Lane Keister would probably have a studied opinion on that series. PM him if you don't otherwise get a sufficient answer.

A Google search shows that one Alan Harman authored a volume on the Psalms for the Mentor series, in 1998.

EDIT: Ouch! on that price: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1857921682/ref=nosim/addallbooksearch
Definitely time to reprint.

EDIT2: Both the Master's Seminary Library in Sun Valley and at the Master's College in Santa Clarita hold copies, but probably as part of their reserve collections and not on a lending basis. But you could go look it over and photocopy needed pages.

The Mentor series is very much like the EP Study Commentary series: both well worth having. Harman wrote both the Psalms volume in the Mentor, and the Daniel volume in the EP series. The latter volume was helpful, though not as helpful as Duguid on Daniel, which was hands down the best. Mackay has now written Exodus, Jeremiah, and Lamentations in the Mentor series. Mackay is one of my four favorite living OT commentators (the other three being Dale Ralph Davis, Iain Duguid, and John Currid).

The Mentor series is very much like the EP Study Commentary series: both well worth having. Harman wrote both the Psalms volume in the Mentor, and the Daniel volume in the EP series. The latter volume was helpful, though not as helpful as Duguid on Daniel, which was hands down the best. Mackay has now written Exodus, Jeremiah, and Lamentations in the Mentor series. Mackay is one of my four favorite living OT commentators (the other three being Dale Ralph Davis, Iain Duguid, and John Currid).
Lane,

I agree heartily with (almost) everything there. I think Duguid is excellent on Daniel, but I find Ferguson (just a bit) better. ;)

Ah! Alan Harman. I'd forgotten it was already out. I think the volume on Proverbs looks especially good. I've seen the two-volume commentary on Jeremiah for only $18 per volume. Gonna get mine soon...

---------- Post added at 03:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:06 AM ----------

Lane Keister would probably have a studied opinion on that series. PM him if you don't otherwise get a sufficient answer.

A Google search shows that one Alan Harman authored a volume on the Psalms for the Mentor series, in 1998.

EDIT: Ouch! on that price: Amazon.com: Commentary on the Psalms (Mentor Commentaries) (9781857921687): Allan Harman: Books
Definitely time to reprint.

EDIT2: Both the Master's Seminary Library in Sun Valley and at the Master's College in Santa Clarita hold copies, but probably as part of their reserve collections and not on a lending basis. But you could go look it over and photocopy needed pages.

I wonder why those Amazon prices are so high. It's not like they're rare books, or out of print. Sheesh!

Also, I noticed that Mentor has published it's first New Testament volume - Galatians. It came out last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back