Calvin's Commentaries

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many of you read from Calvin's Commentaries? When I was still a United Methodist Minster, and before I was a Calvinist, my oppinion was that Calvin's commentaries were the best that I have ever read. Surprisingly, when I was invited to the home of a reformed minister in my area, after leaving the UMC, he didn't even have a copy!

Calvin's commentaries are terrific. In a lot of ways they seem very up-to-date too.

-----Added 4/30/2009 at 12:07:09 EST-----

I have them in a variety of electronic formats (am hoping to get a set of the Calvin 500 edition when it comes out in a few weeks) but strongly disagree with his handling of 2 & 3 John and Revelation!!! :lol: :think: :lol:

I can think of no other commentaries that have proven so durable and transgenerational in outliving their own day as Calvin. There are a few classics (Owen on Hebrews and Spurgeon on Psalms) that have endured, but none have worn so well for so long on so many books of the Bible.

I just draw a complete blank when it comes to his commentary on Revelation. I guess I just don't get it or something. ;)

I just preordered a 500th Anniversary set of the commentaries (due out now in June) for $120 (including a matching 500th Anniversary edition of the Institutes).

Thanks, Dennis! I'll watch for those in the mail.

:confused: . . .

:think: . . .

:eek: . . .

:lol:

I don't believe that a omnivorous reader like you is lacking in a copy of Calvin's Commentaries.

Electronic only, I'm afraid. Most of my books have been packed in boxes for a majority of their existence; and most of my books are no longer mine.

I am sorry, but at least you know what to wish for for, christmas, or birthday, or graduation day, etc.

Just picked up the commentaries on 2 Corinthians, 1 & 2 Timothy, Titus & Philemon in one volume (Eerdmans paperback). I'm not big on paperbacks, but I had to get it; about $13 brand new at a discount Christian bookstore on campus (the market price is $38).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back