Does your congregation have prayer meetings?
Yes. Wednesday evenings at 7:30 p.m.
What do they look like, regarding format?
An hour long. We begin with a hymn and brief meditation on some portion of Scripture. Often I will read some excerpt from some worthy to stir us up to take hold of God in prayer.
Then another hymn on that theme.
Then we usually have two periods of prayer. In the first, I read reports from sister churches, missionaries, and ministries. We also pray regularly for our nation, its government, and members of the Armed Forces. I call on different men in the congregation to pray for the different things mentioned.
We only permit the men of the church to lead in corporate prayer. These men will stand in their place and offer prayer for the matter they were given. Each of their prayers are followed by an "Amen" which is then echoed by the congregation.
After these prayers are concluded, I will address prayer concerns related to our own congregation—conversion of the lost friends and family, prayer for God's blessing on his word from week to week, the sick and aged and shut-ins, for marriages and families, etc. Once these have been explained, I will again call on different men in the congregation to pray for the different things mentioned. Then we bow again in prayer and the men will stand in their place and offer prayer for the matter they were given.
When they have concluded their prayers, I will stand and offer a concluding prayer which marks the conclusion of the prayer meeting.
Are others allowed to pray out loud (laymen)?
Men who are members in good standing are encouraged to exercise themselves in public prayer (1 Tim. 2:8).
Should women be allowed to pray out loud during this type of public meetings?
No. To pray publicly is to lead the people of God in prayer. Women are not permitted to speak authoritatively or bear rule in the assemblies of the church.
But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.—1 Tim. 2:12
Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but
they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law.—1 Cor. 14:34
In our family worship we usually close in prayer and I encourage my family members to take turns praying out loud and Dad (me) closes. This helps me hear what is on my children’s heart as they speak to God.
I am wondering if this should be done in the public prayer meeting when the Pastor opens and closes, but the laymen are permitted to pray in between.
We do this as well as a family. I encourage my wife and children to pray aloud in the family. But what is appropriate in family devotions may not be permissible or edifying in the public meetings of the church. Asking children to pray in the public prayer meeting I think would be unwise for several reasons. Having women pray would violate the clear precept of Scripture on women's conduct in public worship.
But I do think having the godly men of a congregation voice their supplications is both biblical and unto the great edification of God's people.