Milgram experiment - those who did not conform

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eoghan

Puritan Board Senior
In the classic experiment subjects administered lethal doses of electricity to actors at the urging of a scientist in a white coat. More recently Derren Brown has used it to select subjects who are "amenable" to following instructions. What interests me are those who are rejected. Those who have a moral compass that is internal and not derived from social norms.
My thesis is that people of faith take their moral compass from scripture not culture. As such they should be prominent amongst Derrens subjects.

Look up the Good Samaritan Experiment. This will make you more pessimistic.

The Princeton Good Samaritan Experiment of 1973:
"Little children, let us not love in word or talk but in deed and in truth.” (I John 3).
---
In this research, which is sure to raise your level of cynicism about mankind, 67 seminary students were asked to give a short talk. Half were actually assigned to speak on the Parable of the Good Samaritan.

Then an actor was hired to lay in the alley along the way to the auditorium where the talk was to be given and portray someone who had been mugged and left beaten up. Each student would have to pass this person on their way to their presentation. Some of the students were further told to hurry up because they were running late.

What were the results?

What were the results of seminarians rushing to go speak on the Good Samaritan and encountering a needy person along the way?
"On average just 40% of the seminary students offered help (with a few stepping over the apparently injured man)..."
Only 10% of those in a state of "high hurry" stopped to help.

----Darley, J. M., and Batson, C.D., "From Jerusalem to Jericho": A study of Situational and Dispositional Variables in Helping Behavior". JPSP, 1973, 27, 100-108.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back