Ministers with Colorful Personalities

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott

Puritan Board Graduate
Who are some of the more colorful personalities in church history? Luther is very colorful with his language, mood swings, and idiosyncratic behavior. Who else?

Some preachers I believe had dynamic personalities and notable oratory skills include George Whitfield, Charles Spurgeon, and John Knox. I have often imagined going back in time and sitting and listening to their sermons, or hearing Jonathan Edwards preach on 'Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God.' Or to hear that uneducated tinker, John Bunyan.

[Edited on 6-24-2006 by VirginiaHuguenot]

William Grimshaw. I don't think there has ever been another preacher capable of dressing up in a devil costume.

My research methodology paper is on Scofield, and he was definately colourful...

Originally posted by py3ak
William Grimshaw. I don't think there has ever been another preacher capable of dressing up in a devil costume.

John Donne is famous for having dressed up in a burial shroud while preaching at a funeral. "Ask not for whom the bell tolls, the bell tolls for thee.":eek:

They don't get much more colorful than John Rodgers of Dedham. He was lively and animated, and once took the Bible out of the pew and out of the church, threatening to take God's Word away because the people were neglecting it.

And when attendance was low, he would go out and preach from the church tower, saying that if the people wouldn't come to hear God's Word, he would take God's Word to them.

Don Kistler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back