modifying God

Status
Not open for further replies.

kvanlaan

Puritan Board Doctor
Didn't want to hijack the source of the quote below, so here's a new thread. I saw this quote on another thread here in Theological Forum:

"Much of our difficulty as seeking Christians stems from our unwillingness to take God as He is and adjust our lives accordingly. We insist upon trying to modify Him and bring Him nearer to our own image." - A. W. Tozer, The Pursuit of God

I've heard another quote attributed to this gentleman that also caught my ear: "I can tell how much God you've got by how much entertainment you need." I haven't actually read much of his body of work, but the quotes alone make him sound like a great read.

My question is this: Why is it that the mainstream church tries to bring God down to our level instead of worshipping Him as Jehovah on high? A personal Saviour now as opposed to the distant Diety of medieval times, fine. But what's the point in worshipping a god that changes with man's culture, is not almighty, and doesn't even have the power to save whom he pleases?

It just strikes me that the emergent/mainstream god is more of a psychological crutch than the Creator and Lord of the universe.

Last edited:
:book2:2 Tim 4:book2:

3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but wanting to have their ears tickled, they will accumulate for themselves teachers in accordance to their own desires,
4 and will turn away their ears from the truth and will turn aside to myths.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back