moral v ceremonial law

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eoghan

Puritan Board Senior
Are there any texts particularly OT supporting this division?

OK, so there don't seem to be any direct texts. What about indirect texts and the end to Temple worship? (i.e. ceremonial worship?)

This appears to be alluded to in John 4:19-23

Last edited:
Westminster Confession of Faith
Chapter XIX Of the Law Of God, 3. 4.
Scripture proof texts

[5] 1CO 5:7 Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us. 2CO 6:17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you, JUD 23 And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.

[6] COL 2:14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross. 16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: 17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ. DAN 9:27 And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate. EPH 2:15 Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace; 16 And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby.

[7] (EXO 21-22) GEN 49:10 The sceptre shall not depart from Judah, nor a lawgiver from between his feet, until Shiloh come; and unto him shall the gathering of the people be. 1PE 2:13 Submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord's sake: whether it be to the king, as supreme; 14 Or unto governors, as unto them that are sent by him for the punishment of evildoers, and for the praise of them that do well. MAT 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. 38 Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth: 39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also. 1CO 9:8 Say I these things as a man? or saith not the law the same also? 9 For it is written in the law of Moses, Thou shalt not muzzle the mouth of the ox that treadeth out the corn. Doth God take care for oxen? 10 Or saith he it altogether for our sakes? For our sakes, no doubt, this is written: that he that ploweth should plow in hope; and that he that thresheth in hope should be partaker of his hope.

Thanks

I particularly liked these two:

COL 2:14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross. 16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: 17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

EPH 2:15 Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace; 16 And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby.

I am off to look up the exact term ordinances. Either as a Greek word or a translation influenced by context this must be pretty close to distinguishing the "ceremonial law":book2::think:.

P.S. Does your Westminster Confession show the verses. Mine just lists them and a lot of them are pretty tenuous re: this point.

P.S. Does your Westminster Confession show the verses. Mine just lists them and a lot of them are pretty tenuous re: this point.

Yes, it shows the Scripture proofs on the bottom of each page. I have found the loose leaf notebook (small blue notebook) helpful for reading and understanding:

That's the PCA blue notebook that has loose leaf pages- Westminster Standards (Confessions, Larger and Shorter Catechism) with Scripture proofs at the bottom of each page plus it has an excellent concise Reformation historical summary.

http://www.cepbookstore.com/p-561-co...ound-3-ho.aspx

The Blue notebook binder:
http://www.cepbookstore.com/p-76-boo...er-binder.aspx
-----Added 11/29/2008 at 06:36:12 EST-----
Eoghan
Puritanboard Freshman

in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

Also, I realize this was not your original focus, but please understand the Sabbath day itself (the Lord's Day, the Fourth Commandment) is not being abrogated here. In context, here and in other places, you will see that specific ceremonies were performed on certain sabbath days, those of course were ceremonial in nature but the Fourth Commandment is not, never has been "ceremonial" law.

The Westminster Standards and proof texts establish that well.

Ordinances or "dogma"

dogma occurs on three occasions translated as decree

Luke 2:1 There went out a decree from from Caesar Augustus

Acts 16:4 And as they went through the the cities They delivered them the decrees for to keep, that were ordained of the apostles and elders which were at Jerusalem

Acts 17:7 All do contrary to the decrees of of Caesar

and two occassions translated as ordinance.

COL 2:14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross. 16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: 17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

EPH 2:15 Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace; 16 And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby.

dogmatizomai occurs once and is translated as "be subject to ordinances"

Col 2:20 Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of this world, why , as though living in the world , are ye subject to ordinances

and just in case we are unclear what he means Paul goes on to say

"touch not, taste not, handle not" (Col 2:21)

These texts are pretty conclusive of the abrogation of the part of the Mosaic Law called "ceremonial" by the Reformers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back