Music Score Programs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coram Deo

Puritan Board Junior
A while ago I had a name of a music program that was really good at putting scores and lyrics together and it was a professional program....

On their website they said that the Southern Baptist Hymnal was made using their program...

Anybody know the name of the program......

I Have been asked by a friend who is a precentor of a church along with his pastor of preparing some Psalms for them to learn at their church...

I need a program that allow me to print scores with the lyrics in sink since photo coping causes smears and they want me to take from different sources....

So I need a really good program....

Any thoughts?

I've used Noteworthy Composer for years and am very happy with it. It is much less expensive than some of the others, (I think it's $39 now) and puts out great scores. They have a free trial option on their website.

It's not as fancy as some of the others, but I've done orchestration, hymns, quartets, and piano music with it. You can fit and edit lyrics and convert to midi files if you want. You can also convert midi files to notation if you have a midi instrument.

It's a vast improvement over what I used to do in the old days: pen, ruler, and paper, just like Bach. (Heh. My notes were cleaner but his music was a lot better).

I have noteworthy composer and paid for it... But I am having trouble with it.....

1. I can't seem to line up the notes in the chef bar with the staff bar nor can I line up the line breaks...

2. I can never get the lyric breaks under each note... I.e. Is - ra - el under each note........

Any thoughts?

I've used Noteworthy Composer for years and am very happy with it. It is much less expensive than some of the others, (I think it's $39 now) and puts out great scores. They have a free trial option on their website.

It's not as fancy as some of the others, but I've done orchestration, hymns, quartets, and piano music with it. You can fit and edit lyrics and convert to midi files if you want. You can also convert midi files to notation if you have a midi instrument.

It's a vast improvement over what I used to do in the old days: pen, ruler, and paper, just like Bach. (Heh. My notes were cleaner but his music was a lot better).

I use Finale PrintMusic.

I share the frustration as far as attempting to embed lyrics between staves. Also, you can't have more than one pick-up note per piece.

That being said, I use it to print scores that are similar to split-leaf format, so the results look a little more like The Comprehensive Psalter. The latest resizing capabilities are very helpful, and my users appreciate the effort.

Recently we sang Psalm 23 as part of a funeral service with many people attending who would not be familiar with 1650 metrical Psalm 23. We printed handouts like I just described. It worked nicely.

The church I am referring to is a Mennonite Church that has a strong Reformed Leaning (Shocking, I know), But Reformed Mennonites have existed in the past and why not now....

Well anyway, after I introduced Psalmody to my friend who is a member of this church, he took some and showed his pastors.... Well, low and behold they are seriously thinking through Exclusive Psalmody and they really like the idea... But until they make a decision they want to study them out and learn how to sing them and teach them to their members on a overhead projector so he and some of their pastors approached me about getting some psalms ready so they can convert them to overhead paper.......

I have noteworthy composer and paid for it... But I am having trouble with it.....

1. I can't seem to line up the notes in the chef bar with the staff bar nor can I line up the line breaks...

2. I can never get the lyric breaks under each note... I.e. Is - ra - el under each note........

Any thoughts?

Do you have the manual? My version is a bit older, but it addresses those issues. For hymns, I like to compose in four separate staves and have the lyrics in the middle. Then I combine the staves into bass and treble staves just like in a hymnal.

If you use slurs, that will count as one syllable. Otherwise, I've never had a problem getting the notes to line up with syllables. Use the dash to separate syllables to get them to line up with notes, and make sure that the lyrics are tied with the melody line you want them to follow.

I'm not following what you mean by the notes in the clef bar lining up with staff bars. I use treble or bass clef for hymns, and place them at the beginning. They always show up where they are supposed to. If bar lines aren't lining up, it's because the number of beats in a measure in one staff doesn't match the measure in the other staff. Sometimes it's easy to miss a dotted note and result in a measure one beat (or half a beat) short.

and Bach published over 1000 works using this method :eek: Mozart 626, Beethoven 132, with many unpublished works thrown in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back