Musical Instruments in Worship

Are Musical Instruments Forbidden in Worship?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Preaching the Word is not "worship." Praying is not "worship." Singing the Psalms a cappella is not "worship." Singing a hymn to an electric guitar is not "worship." Taking the Sacraments is not "worship."

And, yet, we are commanded to do all these things (except maybe the electric guitar) during corporate worship.

I respectfully disagree with Rev. Cornwall. Instruments are not mentioned until Genesis 4. But music was present at the creation (a metaphorical reference at least in Job 38:7).

I don't necessarily mind the rest of his quote, as long as we are clear that God requires certain elements to accompany (not in the musical sense) His worship.

Since there is ample biblical evidence of musical instruments used in the Old Covenant, and there is a continuity in the covenants, does anyone have a Biblical argument against musical instruments?

Greetings:

Surprising that a Baptist is arguing "continunity in the covenants"? :D

I think that the forbidding of musical instruments in worship is a fine example of how paedo-baptism teaches that there is a non-continunity between the Covenants.

In my first post on this thread I hinted at the argument. In the Old Testament musical instruments in the public worship of God were a matter of the Tabernacle/Temple worship:

This is the first mention of instruments in the worship of God. Though Miriam used a cymbol - that was a matter of celebration, and not a formal worship service. Notice several things:

1) The fashioning of them was commanded "of silver; of a whole piece" the people were not to use the instruments they brought out of Egypt.

2) What they will be used for: "the calling of the assembly and the journeying of the camps."

3) Where they are to be used, "at the door of the tabernacle."

4) The manner in which they are to be used is shown in verse 3-9.

5) Who are to use these two trumpets, "the sons of Aaron, the priests."

Putting all other agendas aside: One has to admit that the use of instruments in worship is a matter of divine command, and not a matter of a practical nature. No other instruments were used during the wanderings until the time of David and the settling of the Tabernacle in the Temple. The Rev. John Price notes:

David was a skilled musician, 1 Sam. 18:10. Yet, he did not include himself among the Temple musicians. It was only the Levites who were commanded to perform in the Temple. Hezekiah picks up on this:

It was the Levites in the Temple who were commanded to play instruments. The children of Israel would do nothing in the worship of God that was not commanded. Apparently, they learned their lesson from Nadab and Abihu.

One cannot argue instruments in worship today based upon the Old Testament understanding of it. The Levitical priesthood has been abolished by the priesthood (Melchisedec) of Jesus Christ:

The Temple worship services have also been abolished:

The Holy Ghost this signifying, that the way into the holiest of all was not yet made manifest, while as the first tabernacle was yet standing: 9Which was a figure for the time then present, in which were offered both gifts and sacrifices, that could not make him that did the service perfect, as pertaining to the conscience; 10Which stood only in meats and drinks, and divers washings, and carnal ordinances, imposed on them until the time of reformation. 11But Christ being come an high priest of good things to come, by a greater and more perfect tabernacle, not made with hands, that is to say, not of this building; 12Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us. 13For if the blood of bulls and of goats, and the ashes of an heifer sprinkling the unclean, sanctifieth to the purifying of the flesh: 14How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God? Hebrews 9:8-14
The instruments commanded in the Jewish Temple during the infancy of the church (as a paedo-baptist I can use the term "church" to refer to the OT saints), have been done away with by the destruction of the same Temple. We now live in a more mature age with a greater manifestation of the Spirit of God. The Temple worship with all of its "carnal ordinances" have been done away, and the Church in its adulthood has now emerged from the worship of the synagogue. This is the universal testimony of the godly throughout all ages:

Justin Martyr ... "The use of singing with instrumental music was not received in the Christian churches as it was among the Jews in their infant state, but only the use of plain song ... Musical organs pertain to the Jewish ceremonies and agree no more to us than circumcision."

Clement of Alexandria ... "Leave the pipe to the shepherd, the flute to the men who are in fear of gods and are intent on their idol-worshipping. Such musical instruments must be excluded from our wineless feasts ... 'Praise Him with harp,' for the tongue is a harp of the Lord; 'and with the lute, praise Him,' understanding the mouth as a lute moved by the Spirit ... But for us to make use of one instrument alone: only the Word of peace, by whom we pay homage to God, no longer with ancient harp or trumpet or drum or flute.

What trumpet of God is now heard--unless it is in the entertainments of the heretics? (Tertullian, c. 210)

Why should I speak of strings set vibrating to noise? Even if these things were not dedicated to idols, they should not be approached and gazed upon by faithful Christians. (Novatian, c. 235)

The unison voices of Christians would be more acceptable to God than any musical instrument. Accordingly in all the churches of God, united in soul and attitude, with one mind and in agreement of faith and piety we send up a unison melody in the words of the Psalms. (Eusebius, Commentary on Psalm 91:2-3, c.320)

Chrysostom ... "It was only permitted to the Jews, as sacrifice was, for the heaviness and grossness of their souls. God condescended to their weakness, because they were lately drawn off from idols: but now instead of organs, we may use our own bodies to praise him withal."

Augustine ... "Praise the Lord with harp; sing unto Him with the psaltery of ten strings,' For this even now we sang, this expressing with one mouth, we instructed your hearts. Hath not the institution of these Vigils in the name of Christ brought it to pass that harps should be banished out of this place? ... Let none turn his heart to instruments of the theatre."

The Council of Laodicea (367) forbids the use of musical instruments in worship, and this has remained the policy of the Eastern Orthodox Church to the present day. In 416 the Council of Carthage addressed this issue and declared, "On the Lord's day let all instruments of music be silenced."

Thomas Aquinas wrote, "Our church does not use musical instruments, as harps and psalteries, to praise God withal, that she may not seem to Judaize."

John Calvin, in his "Commentary on Exodus," 15:20, writes, "Instrumental music is reckoned among the number of legal ceremonies which Christ hath abolished, where as now we must retain a gospel simplicity."

The Synod of Holland and Zealand, convened in 1554, gave the following instruction:

"That ministers should endeavour to prevail with the magistrates to banish organs and instrumental music out of the churches." Twenty-seven years later, in 1581, the National Assembly convened in Middleburg, again called for the removal of organs from the churches. Therefore, those who champion the use of instrumental music in Christian worship are in direct opposition to the Apostolic Simplicity of Worship as held by the fathers of the Dutch Reformation."

Even the Catholics admit this: "For almost a thousand years Gregorian chant, without any instrumental or harmonic addition, was the only music connection with the liturgy. The organ, in its primitive and rude form, was the first, and for a long time the sole, instrument used to accompany the chant. It gave the pitch to the singers and added brilliancy and sonority. (Instruments which replaced the songs were strongly condemned). Catholic Encyclopaedia online.

John Calvin, “Musical instruments in celebrating the praises of God would be no more suitable than the burning of incense, the lighting of lamps, and the restoration of the other shadows of the law. The Papists, therefore, have foolishly borrowed this, as well as many other things from the Jew. Men who are fond of outward pomp may delight in that noise: but the simplicity which God recommends to us by the apostles is far more pleasing to Him.” (Commentary on Psalms 33)

John Wesley, “I have no opposition to the organ in our chapel provided it is neither seen nor heard.” (Adam Clark’s Commentary, Volume 4, page 868)

Adam Clark, “I am an old man, and an old minister; and I here declare that I never knew them to be productive of any good in the worship of God; and have had reason to believe that they were productive of much evil. Music, as a science, I esteem and admire; but instruments of music in the house of God I abominate and abhor.” (Adam Clark’s Commentary, Volume 4, page 686)

Charles Spurgeon, when asked why, in the twenty years he preached in London, never used the organ in worship, cited 1 Cor. 14:15 and said “I will pray with the spirit and I will pray with the understanding also, I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also. I would as soon pray to God with machinery as to sing to God with machinery.”

Finally,

James W. McKinnon examined 150 references to Christian music up to the Middle Ages and found opposition to instruments ‘uniform, vehement, and monolithic’.
The Biblical argument of all of these men is simple: Instruments in worship was a matter of the Jewish/Infancy of the Church. They have been abolished as the Temple has been abolished. We now worship God in our hearts and by the Spirit.

Blessings,

-CH

:):up: Very good, sir. Scriptural and historical witness vs. man's deeply cherished traditions = heated controversy.

I don't want to offend my Presbyterian brothers, but after reading the worship forums for the last several days I have an observation.

I find it interesting that when it comes to music in particular many of you take a really strict stand on the regulative principal. At times as if it trumps scripture itself. However, it becomes a little less strict when needed to justify other elements of corporate worship.

One last observation. Those that keep referring to Ephesians 5:19 and Colossians 3:16 in your defense of accapella singing are reading a lot into that passage. A whole lot.

I do not understand what "take a really strict stand on the rpw" means. However, I do understand what it means to be logically consistent with the application of the rpw.

Please explain or cite an example that the application of the rpw "At times as if it trumps scripture itself".

Also please elobarate on "it becomes a little less strict when needed to justify other elements of corporate worship". Such as?

About Ephesians 5:19 and Colossians 3:16 and "...reading a lot into that passage." Not anymore than the ones banging on drums with a non-levitical soloist carrying on.

To help in said falling may I suggest this. :D

By all means and much in every way.:handshake: However, I'm familiar with BS's position and find it wanting (or perhaps "failing" :)). I can't find Scripture telling us to uphold the command / circumstance distinction. It doesn't (in my mind) arise from Scripture itself.

Hope all is well for you AV.

I can't find Scripture telling us to uphold the command / circumstance distinction. It doesn't (in my mind) arise from Scripture itself.

I think that you are seeing a problem when in fact there is not one. We do not need to find a command for this but rather we look in Scripture and we find the theme developing.

For example;

Q: What day do you worship God?
A: The Lord's day.

Q: Why?
A: Because we are commanded to do so.

Q: What time of the Lord's day do you worship?
A: Well at Church X I worshipped at 10am but now at Church Y I worship at 8am.

Q: Why is this time not the same?
A: Because there is no command when we worship on the Lord's day only that we do.

A little basic but I hope you see what I mean. Where did Adam offer sacrifices? Well on an altar but no geographic place was specified (as I recall). Where did the Jews offer sacrifices? In Jerusalem (commanded) and in the temple (commanded). Again basic but I hope you see what I mean :handshake:

Dear AV,

Thanks for your post. Here is a response that may help you see from where I'm coming.

Q: What day do you worship God?
A: The Lord's day.

Well for a start where does the Bible teach just this?

[1] The NT says that we "worship" God in all of life (Rom. 12:1). This is because Christ has fulfilled all of the OT temple worship; he is the new temple (John 1:14; 2:21). Hence, because we are united to Christ we are also his temple (1 Cor. 3:16) and that all the time.

[2] I can't find anywhere in the NT where it says that the purpose of the new covenant gathering is "worship". The fundamental purpose of the gathering is edification / encouragement (1 Cor. 14:26; Heb. 10:24-25).

You see, much of the problem hangs on what we mean by the Bible "commanding" us. Much of the NT (say Paul's letters) weren't written directly to us in the 21st century (but to the Corinthians, Colossians, Galatians etc.), however they're written for us (because they're inspired Scripture). If this is the case then the "commands" (for example) in Paul's letters aren't given directly to us. So there is the question of how they may be written for us in the 21st century.

I'm not denying there aren't commands that the Bible gives us, far from it. However, the Bible also gives us principles that can apply in a multitude of ways depending on our culture, age etc. This shouldn't surprise us because the Bible equips us for every good work (2 Tim. 3:17), however there are many things that the Bible doesn't specifically mention (like stem cell research, euthanasia etc.). However, we can apply Bible principles (concerning humans being made in the image of God, God's providence, and murder) to these sorts of issues.

Edification in the gathering is one such principle that can be applied in many ways. There is no reason to think that musical instruments couldn't help in the process of edification.

God bless you brother.

:):up: Very good, sir. Scriptural and historical witness vs. man's deeply cherished traditions = heated controversy

Thank you very kindly, Chris. I hope, though, that I did not express myself in a "heated" fashion. Though, at times, I have been heated on other matters.

Blessings to you, brother!

-Rob Wieland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back