My Augustine Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharlieJ

Puritan Board Junior
Reposted from my blog, Sacra Pagina.

As part of my lifelong reading project to educate myself through reading the great books of history, I am embarking on a study of Augustine of Hippo. Augustine is probably the most important Western theologian of all time, and certainly of Christianity's first millennium. I've been preparing for this project all year long, teaching myself Latin and surveying the history of doctrine from the Apostolic Fathers to Chalcedon. Over the next few months I plan to read a sizable portion of his corpus, much of it in Latin. My goal is to provide myself a grounding in Augustine that will serve me well when I proceed to Medieval theology and beyond.

I have not yet decided which of his polemical treatises I will include, or what order I will follow. I also plan on making an extensive (though certainly not exhaustive) survey of the secondary literature. So far, here are the works that I am sure I will be studying:

* Confessions
* De Trinitate
* Retractions
* City of God
* De Doctrina Christiana

This project may become the basis for future formal research, but it is primarily for my own improvement. I plan to blog regularly concerning my progress; this project will likely dominate Sacra Pagina for the next few months. I welcome suggestions, comments, and criticisms along the way. If anyone would like to join me for all or part of the journey, I would greatly appreciate conversation partners.

Crede, ut intelligas - Believe, that you may understand. (Augustine)

Sounds like fun, but I don't remember Latin. What texts/editions do you use for something like this?

This sounds like a good reading project. I have read two of Augustine's works- The Confessions and On Free Choice of the Will.

The Teaching Company sells a series of lectures about Augustine and another series of lectures about medieval philosophy which includes Augustine. I would recommend listening to those lectures.

Whatever I can find.....

I believe Migne is the standard critical set. A good amount of Augustine in Latin is available online, but I'm not sure about all the sources. Of course, Schaff has a lot in English, but I think he may abridge some things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back