Nahum, question

Status
Not open for further replies.

sitdownicantsee

Puritan Board Freshman
Hello all, I hope everyone has been doing well. My question is, in the book of Nahum, 1:12. "Though I have afflicted thee, I will afflict thee no more." Is God speaking of Judah? Or possibly the Ninevites? I know Sennacharib had conquered Israel, and attempted the same with Judah, but was unsuccessful, any help is greatly appreciated.
Love Brian
 
Hello all, I hope everyone has been doing well. My question is, in the book of Nahum, 1:12. "Though I have afflicted thee, I will afflict thee no more." Is God speaking of Judah? Or possibly the Ninevites? I know Sennacharib had conquered Israel, and attempted the same with Judah, but was unsuccessful, any help is greatly appreciated.
Love Brian

Brian,

I believe the passage lends itself to Nineveh (Assyria) being the the afflictor. "Though I have afflicted you" is most likely a reference to Assyria being the vessel of God's judgment on Judah.
 
These later prophets as a whole were dealing with the kingdoms' rebellion -- unholy alliances, injustice, tepid worship -- and God's righteous judgment against them administered by Assyria and Babylon. Harold, I wonder if it is also appropriate to see this as a second advent promise as well when the effects of the fall are forever defeated?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top