Nave's Topical Bible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pilgrim

Puritanboard Commissioner
Any thoughts (good, bad, indifferent) on Nave's Topical Bible?

I think I've had my copy for at least 10 years. At most I might have cracked it open 5 times. Since I am attempting a drastic reduction in my library, I'm looking to discard volumes that I don't use and that I don't think I'll ever use much. I'm going to keep a few Bible reference works, but since I don't use this one, it is in the "maybe" category right now.

Have I perhaps missed something with Nave? For those who use it, how have you found it to be useful?
 
Have one that I got as a gift at least 20 years ago. Probably haven't opened it in 10 years.
 
It doesn't matter how "good" it is. If you don't use it, it is of little use to you. If you are attempting to discard the least necessary volumes, one that you never use would seem to be high on the list. Plus, you can get it online, in pretty much every piece of Bible software, etc. So, this is one that you will not miss and if you ever needed it, you could get what you need online for free.
 
I think the main reason I haven't used Nave's is that I have seldom studied by topic at length unless it is perhaps when studying a confession or catechism. Usually it's reading consecutively through a book and then maybe following rabbit trails from there.

Prior to the advent of computers, no doubt such resources were invaluable. I find the "Treasury of Scripture Knowledge" or the more recent Nelson's Cross-reference Guide to be much more helpful. A resource that serves a somewhat similar function to Nave is the "Cyclopedic Index" that is found in the Open Bible and other resources. I've made use of it from time to time. (I have a NKJV reference edition that includes it.) I like Cruden's Concordance too. Cruden's for the crude.... I wonder if I will ever graduate to Strong's.

Maybe I can give Nave to someone who doesn't use a computer for Bible study. Even if I were to decide later that I "need" it, it's not as if it is out of print, expensive and hard to find.
 
I saw a copy on ebay sometime ago and asked the pastor where I used to go to church about Naves. He told me he found it helpful in researching prospective sermons and Bible studies ....... by topic of course. I already have a Thompson Chain and really don't find myself researching by topic often so I skipped it.
 
I just opened it and am now thinking "How useful this could be!" :lol:

Like Thompson (Chain Reference) Nave was a Methodist. I wonder if anyone has ever perceived any Wesleyan or Arminian slant in either work?
 
He told me he found it helpful in researching prospective sermons and Bible studies ....... by topic of course.

I do think it could be useful for teaching purposes in coming up with Scriptural examples on a certain theme. But I suppose to at least some extent a large cross reference work such as the Treasury of Scripture Knowledge may help serve a similar purpose. But with the TSK it is harder to just flip it open and think "Aha! I'll preach or teach on talebearing this week!"
 
Chris,

When I was a younger Christian I used it a lot to help my zero in on certain topics. It was extremely helpful. Nowadays I use it rarely, though I believe my wife uses her copy often to help with her Bible study.
 
I've never had one until recently. My wife picked up a used copy for me at a Goodwill store for about $3.

Still figuring it out, but it seems like something I'll use from time to time. I'm glad to have a copy on-hand now.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top