Need Help buying presents for children

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyCalvinist

Puritan Board Junior
My church participates in Angel Tree (ministry to children of prisoners). I have picked a 7 yr. old girl and a 10-year-old boy. I am thinking of spending about $35 for each one. I plan to buy a candy for each one, but I would be grateful for any suggestions. Thanks.

My church participates in Angel Tree (ministry to children of prisoners). I have picked a 7 yr. old girl and a 10-year-old boy. I am thinking of spending about $35 for each one. I plan to buy a candy for each one, but I would be grateful for any suggestions. Thanks.
Get them each this DVD; it is cheaper, but infinitely more valuable than what you could get for $35.

This is a fine gift, but it might not be appropriate to assume these children have access to a DVD player.
I think it would be. This is 2022, and since it is Angel Tree, and a ministry for incarcerated children, and not overseas children; the average American household, even among the most poor, has a DVD player if not a Bluray.

The boy.... Legos. For that price maybe two vehicles, make one a space ship. Walmart should have a good selection. I generally need to ask some kid in the aisle if what I am holding is good guys or bad guys so I can get good guys, and they always know the answer, and the Moms always grin.

7 year old girl- for that price you can get an 18" doll. Target has nice ones as does Walmart. If she's black they have black dolls, but I don't know if you can find out her race. Maybe get one with light brown skin that works for black or white.

https://www.target.com/s/our+generation+18+inch+doll

Toys are a safe bet in those age groups. You can ask children you know in those ages and hope they say something in the price range.

Can't miss with Legos for boys. No technology needed for Legos.

For the girl, every 10-year-old I know loves Shrinky Dinks. But you'll need to consider that those require an oven and adult supervision.

I think it would be. This is 2022, and since it is Angel Tree, and a ministry for incarcerated children, and not overseas children; the average American household, even among the most poor, has a DVD player if not a Bluray.
I do not have a DVD player. The reason is that I do not need one. I know people that do not have one. DVDs are right behind CDs. I no longer have a CD player either.

I do not have a DVD player. The reason is that I do not need one. I know people that do not have one. DVDs are right behind CDs. I no longer have a CD player either.
"The reason is I do not need one." Would this then not presuppose an alternative? Bluray, disk-drive on a computer, etc. Or you simply have forgone entertainment. A majority of parents and children are not going to do the same. To me, having the opportunity to bring something into their lives they may not get elsewhere; I wouldnt waste on the same old general legos, dolls, action figures, candy etc. which they will probably get from others, be played with a day or two, then be set aside. Instead, I would weigh the probability they do have a way to watch a DVD, which an overwhelming majority of Americans do, and "roll the dice" so to speak, even if you can call it that with such a high probability. I just see it as a way to bring light to a potentially dark place; yet it is odd to me toys that do not glorify God in any way are preferred? But to each their own I guess.

Last edited:
"The reason is I do not need one." Would this then not presuppose an alternative? Bluray, disk-drive on a computer, etc. Or you simply have forgone entertainment. A majority of parents and children are not going to do the same. To me, having the opportunity to bring something into their lives they may not get elsewhere; I wouldnt waste on the same old general legos, dolls, action figures, candy etc. which they will probably get from others, be played with a day or two, then be set aside. Instead, I would weigh the probability they do have a way to watch a DVD, which an overwhelming majority of Americans do, and "roll the dice" so to speak, even if you can call it that with such a high probability. I just see it as a way to bring light to a potentially dark place; yet it is odd to me toys that do not glorify God in any way are preferred? But to each their own I guess.
It is about helping an impoverished kid get something fun during a gift giving season. Ive delivered batches of these gifts and indeed it is likely that such gifts are their only shot at a toy. Such a video would not be well received and a let down to the child expecting a toy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back