Need help finding scripture that proves

Status
Not open for further replies.

earl40

Puritan Board Professor
VII. Works done by unregenerate men, although for the matter of them they may be things which God commands; and of good use both to themselves and others:[23] yet, because they proceed not from an heart purified by faith;[24] nor are done in a right manner, according to the Word;[25] nor to a right end, the glory of God,[26] they are therefore sinful and cannot please God, or make a man meet to receive grace from God:[27] and yet, their neglect of them is more sinful and displeasing unto God.[28]

I need specifically works by the unregenerate, or regenerate, that God commands that do not please Him.

Here is Prov 21:4
An high look, and a proud heart, and the plowing of the wicked, is sin.

Any others that come to mind?

"But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him." (Hebrews 11.6)

Romans 3:9 What then? Are we Jews[a] any better off? No, not at all. For we have already charged that all, both Jews and Greeks, are under sin, 10 as it is written:

“None is righteous, no, not one;
11 no one understands;
no one seeks for God.
12 All have turned aside; together they have become worthless;
no one does good,
not even one.”
13 “Their throat is an open grave;
they use their tongues to deceive.”
“The venom of asps is under their lips.”
14 “Their mouth is full of curses and bitterness.”
15 “Their feet are swift to shed blood;
16 in their paths are ruin and misery,
17 and the way of peace they have not known.”
18 “There is no fear of God before their eyes.”

Romans 2.6-16, where v. 8's disobeyed truth (the Scripture's commands which are to be performed in faith, ultimately to lead one to Christ) is called evil. Obeying the Bible on your own terms is evil in God's eyes, and merits his judgment (v. 16).

Heb 11:6 and Romans 14:23 have already been mentioned, so here is another, though it applies to the regenerated.

2 Timothy 1:9 who has saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was given to us in Christ Jesus before time began, - NKJV

Last edited:
The sacrifice of the wicked is an abomination to the LORD: but the prayer of the upright is his delight. Prov 15:8

He that turneth away his ear from hearing the law, even his prayer shall be abomination. Prov 28:9

Matthew 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? 23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity. (perhaps a reference to those who live in self deception - and I assume this is what the passage means- or could be a desperate attempt to deceive God in the day of judgment)

Matthew 15:7-9
7 Ye hypocrites, well did Esaias prophesy of you, saying, 8 This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me. (taking God's name in your mouth would ordinarily be a good thing, but it was a matter of a "God of their own making" with their teachings of men and therefore the more damning)

Acts 19:12 So that from his body were brought unto the sick handkerchiefs or aprons, and the diseases departed from them, and the evil spirits went out of them. 13 Then certain of the vagabond Jews, exorcists, took upon them to call over them which had evil spirits the name of the Lord Jesus, saying, We adjure you by Jesus whom Paul preacheth. 14 And there were seven sons of one Sceva, a Jew, and chief of the priests, which did so. 15 And the evil spirit answered and said, Jesus I know, and Paul I know; but who are ye? 16 And the man in whom the evil spirit was leaped on them, and overcame them, and prevailed against them, so that they fled out of that house naked and wounded. (exorcism is a good thing, but when done by the unregenerate it is Beelzebub trying to cast out Beelzebub and the more detestable- even demons don't appreciate it!)

Last edited:
“This is the work of God, that you believe in him whom he has sent” (John 6:29).

Faith in Christ is the fundamental thing we are called to. It is the work. Other works only "count" when they flow from this faith.

Romans 8:8
So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

Thank you all. Especially for Romans 8:8!

As a side note the evidence I have given in the WCF has at least cleared up that it (the WCF and LBCF) does indeed teach that men can only sin if they have no faith which is good in that it clears up misconceptions of what the reformers taught. Granted this is In my most humble opinion backed up with the bible very soundly, and also shows many who say they are 4 pointers really are not. May The Lord grant them the grace to believe in His word on this matter.

I hope this helps.

Hag 2:11 "Thus says the LORD of hosts: Ask the priests about the law:
Hag 2:12 'If someone carries holy meat in the fold of his garment and touches with his fold bread or stew or wine or oil or any kind of food, does it become holy?'" The priests answered and said, "No."
Hag 2:13 Then Haggai said, "If someone who is unclean by contact with a dead body touches any of these, does it become unclean?" The priests answered and said, "It does become unclean."
Hag 2:14 Then Haggai answered and said, "So is it with this people, and with this nation before me, declares the LORD, and so with every work of their hands. And what they offer there is unclean.
Hag 2:15 Now then, consider from this day onward. Before stone was placed upon stone in the temple of the LORD,
Hag 2:16 how did you fare? When one came to a heap of twenty measures, there were but ten. When one came to the wine vat to draw fifty measures, there were but twenty.
Hag 2:17 I struck you and all the products of your toil with blight and with mildew and with hail, yet you did not turn to me, declares the LORD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back