Need some godly, prayerful advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

PMBrooks

Puritan Board Freshman
Friends,
I just want to share with all of you a matter in my family's life through which we are praying. I guess I share this in order to perhaps receive any bits of wisdom that you all might have but also to solicit prayers.

I currently teach theology full time at a seminary and really enjoy teaching and training ministers. I also serve as a chaplain in the army reserves and enjoy my military ministry. I am tossed up between the two because on the one side I want to continue in the teaching ministry. However, I also feel a draw to active duty military chaplaincy as I would be able to teach world religions and ethics in some of the army service schools throughout my career (Army Command and Staff College, Army War College, and others).

The pros and cons that I can see are:

Seminary Pros:
Enjoy training ministers
Large influence for teaching theology and the next generation of ministers
Seminary positions are hard to come by, so I have been blessed
Opportunities to publish/write

Seminary Cons:
Limited contact with non-believers
Limited advancement (as is natural with teaching positions)

Military Pros:
Contact with non-believers
Awesome opportunities to give a Christian worldview to military/world issues
Influence in training future chaplains and younger soldiers

Military Cons:
Loss of ministry/denominational network
Deployments and overseas assignments (though for ministry reasons, these are not so bad!)
Writing/publishing opportunities would still be available, but with a more focused and limited range of topics

I believe I have honestly searched my heart and conscience under the guidance of the Spirit and the Word. I do not think I am pursuing any of these options for any wrong/selfish reasons. I merely want to be obedient and witness to His glory wherever I am.

Thank you for any bits of wisdom, and especially prayers, you can give this way!

Not a prayer thread, but my best contribution might be :pray2:

One thing does puzzle me - you can't find the opportunity for contact with non- believers in NEW ORLEANS? The city of Pagans and Papists?

I would hesitate to wade in on this, other than to agree that the seminary setting can tend to minimize contact with unbelievers. However, there are ways to break out of that mold. Westminster Seminary professors C. John Miller and Cornelius Van Til used to regularly go to the center city area of Philadelphia and engage in street preaching. For Miller particularly, it was a revolutionary experience that changed the whole course of his remaining years.

I believe I have honestly searched my heart and conscience under the guidance of the Spirit and the Word. I do not think I am pursuing any of these options for any wrong/selfish reasons. I merely want to be obedient and witness to His glory wherever I am.

Has the Chief Shepherd placed you over your current flock? Has He made known to you and/or them that He is removing His undershepherd from them?

On another note- A member of my flock is now serving in the military chaplaincy overseas. I sought to advise him that there could be conflicts of conscience and duty and indeed this has proven to be the case. He has already been reprimanded for preaching the Truth too narrowly and not being sensitive to diversity.

Thanks everyone for the prayers and bits of wisdom. My family and I know we still have much to pray through. All of the different thoughts posed in your posts have come through our heads and hearts. So again, I am very grateful for the prayers.

Blessings to all of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back