Neglected New Testament Books

Status
Not open for further replies.
As things currently stand over here, our ministers are preaching the words of God by doing some nice exegesis, but are they really preaching the word in the sense of setting forth the whole counsel of God?

Having listened to some of the RPs, especially David Silversides, I found a strong emphasis on doctrinal instruction and application, which is what I take "the word" to mean.

Just my $0.02.

Since you are so fond of sharing things (both thoughts and free e-books), do you plan to mail me your :2cents: If so, could you please change the place of the decimal point to something like $2,000,000.00. Thanks. ;)

Brother, I'll mail you that check, as long as you don't try to cash it. ;-) Come to think of it, a lot of my thoughts may not be worth taking to the bank! Ha!

To the OP: I have intentionally sought to balance preaching the neglected texts with the foundational ones as well. Our church in its 50 year history had never had exposition from the pulpit -- only topical preaching. None of the leaders could recall a single chapter worked through consecutively (ie, Isa 53, Rom 8, Heb 12, etc.) So I've sought to lay a foundation of critical doctrinal chapters such as those mentioned above, taking several months to preach through them, and balancing that out in the manner I mentioned previously in this thread, as well as preaching consecutively through carefully-selected books.

I'll wrap up 1 Pet in the next couple of weeks, D.V. The major reason I selected it was its significant focus on how to walk through suffering, pain, and loss in a way that glorifies God. A deacon mentioned to me in a conversation about 1.5 years ago how reading it had ministered to him in light of the troubles our church has been facing and the high number of deaths we've undergone in recent years. I agreed with him and he asked if I'd pray about preaching through it. So I did...and here we are.

In 2015, between our AM and PM Sabbath services, I hope to preach the 10 Commandments, the 5 solas, the rest of Judges, Ruth, a brief topical/biblical counseling series on communication and conflict, a couple of weeks on our church covenant, and a minor prophet. Those will probably be my "series" sermons. For the intermittent/6-8 week interludes, I'm wanting to begin looking at some of the parables and some selected psalms (25, 32, 51, 100, 103 keep coming back around in my head as I think of where our people are right now).

That's my basic plan for hitting a balance of neglected texts vs. central texts vs. doctrinal/topical/occasional subjects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back