Tyndale New testament Commentaries

Status
Not open for further replies.

joejohnston3

Puritan Board Sophomore
Hello All,

I was given a set of these and wanted to get some feedback regarding them. Are these commentaries valuable for reference or should I not keep them? They were free so it is not a loss either way but I was not familiar with them and wanted to see if my PB brethren knew anything about them.

This link will show the version that was given to me: https://www.amazon.com/2nd-Epistle-...-16&keywords=tyndale+new+testament+commentary

Thank you.

I have a few of them (also gifts) and have found them moderately helpful on an inconsistent basis. Of course, since sets are so frequently inconsistent, that's not surprising. Maybe I have the poor ones! Ha!

Many of them are quite good in a more-reliable-than-brilliant sort of way. Contributors like Leon Morris and Derek Kidner will definitely help you learn something, even as the nature of the commentary series means there will always be more to explore. There is also a likelihood of some characteristic areas of disagreement.

Last edited:
I have this set in a glass cabinet in our study.
There is an Old Testament version and I have some of those too.
Can't offer you any feedback other than it looks ascetically pleasing.:rolleyes:

Mostly use Logos and ebooks nowdays.

I use them on whatever book I am preaching through at the moment. I have yet to use a bad one, and even where I disagree I find them winsome and well-put together.

I'm really glad that you brothers have benefitted from them! Might have to give them another shot, based on your cumulative input. Y'all have rarely steered me wrong in trustworthy literature!

Have a wonderful Lord's Day tomorrow, brethren.

The set was strongly recommended to me by a trustworthy source - I keep an eye for a set everytime I go used book shopping.

I have the full NT set and a few of the OT ones as well. They are helpful but not a great depth to them. If they are free or going cheap then I would grab them.

My favorite authors from the series are . . .

OT - Kidner, Wenham, Baldwin, Duguid, Motyer
NT - France, Morris, Bruce, Moo, Guthrie, Grudem, Stott

Some are so brief and commonsensical as to be next to useless. Others are down-right profound (cf. Kidner). Kidner's Genesis commentary was full of good material that I have used in preaching, for instance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back