August
Puritan Board Freshman
I am increasingly running into those who claim that science is neutral, and has no hidden motives. As I see it, there is a couple of responses to that. Firstly we should recognize that science is one of the primary ways that we describe God's creation, and identify how to make use of those resources He put at our disposal. Applied science, or technology, undisputably has it's place in our world.
The problem around scientific neutrality arises when some scientific disciplines come to conclusions with metaphysical implications that are in opposition to the first point. If we follow the scientific method, it starts with observation and hypothesis, and it is there where I see a problem. Science claims to be neutral, i.e. follows the observations and conclusions where it may lead, but some scientists add the caveat: "as long as the conclusion is not supernatural or metaphysical." By stating that science can never consider a supernatural cause, the hypothesis formed by a scientist that presupposes that, is no longer neutral, since the scientist assumes that within the observation and hypothesis, he has already gained sufficient metaphysical knowledge so as to exclude it from the resulting theory.
The common objection to this reasoning is that science will cease to produce results, since everything will be explained away by attributing it to God. While this is a laughable objection, it is sometimes necessary to point out the slippery slope fallacy being committed with that objection. Many great scientists were and are Christians, and there has been no erosion of the discipline, in fact the contrary is true.
I am sure I have only touched the tip of the iceberg here, anyone care to comment or add?
The problem around scientific neutrality arises when some scientific disciplines come to conclusions with metaphysical implications that are in opposition to the first point. If we follow the scientific method, it starts with observation and hypothesis, and it is there where I see a problem. Science claims to be neutral, i.e. follows the observations and conclusions where it may lead, but some scientists add the caveat: "as long as the conclusion is not supernatural or metaphysical." By stating that science can never consider a supernatural cause, the hypothesis formed by a scientist that presupposes that, is no longer neutral, since the scientist assumes that within the observation and hypothesis, he has already gained sufficient metaphysical knowledge so as to exclude it from the resulting theory.
The common objection to this reasoning is that science will cease to produce results, since everything will be explained away by attributing it to God. While this is a laughable objection, it is sometimes necessary to point out the slippery slope fallacy being committed with that objection. Many great scientists were and are Christians, and there has been no erosion of the discipline, in fact the contrary is true.
I am sure I have only touched the tip of the iceberg here, anyone care to comment or add?
