New Psalter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nathan,

Do you guys site read at home or have a piano to figure the tunes out? I want to start singing them right away with my family but won't know what tunes to use.

Can you look up the tunes online? I would imagine that the name of the tune (e.g. "Finlandia") is on each page; at that point it's just a Google search away.

Some time in August Crown and Covenant has said they will have the tunes up on Psalter.org. Psalms from The Book of Psalms for Singing. Crown & Covenant Publications. much like they do for the Book of Psalms for Singing.

Nathan,

Do you guys site read at home or have a piano to figure the tunes out? I want to start singing them right away with my family but won't know what tunes to use.

Can you look up the tunes online? I would imagine that the name of the tune (e.g. "Finlandia") is on each page; at that point it's just a Google search away.

Some time in August Crown and Covenant has said they will have the tunes up on Psalter.org. Psalms from The Book of Psalms for Singing. Crown & Covenant Publications. much like they do for the Book of Psalms for Singing.

Yeah, I saw that too. I had hoped they would be up before I got my Psalters. Just being impatient.

I don't like it. We use the older one at home during our family worship sometimes. We use the Trinity Psalters at Church. Does that mean that there is going to be a new Trinity Psalter? We just bought ours this year. I will be disappointed if we have trouble ordering more when we need them.

We use Psalter.org if we are having trouble with a tune. The site will soon have both psalters tunes as well as a ton of other things (I have sworn to secrecy upon punishment of death).

As for the Trinity Psalter, it will remain the same. The Book of Psalms for Singing will stay in print as well. (Many churches outside of the RPCNA use this psalter).

This past Lord's Day, my wife and I spent a couple of hours looking through the tune index of the UP 1912 Psalter, The Psalms for Singing, and the Psalms for Worship. There is a lot of continuity. Also, the new Psalter has been lowered where some of the Psalms for Worship were too high... unless you were part of the castrati.

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castrati[/ame]

A couple weeks ago, we were pleased to visit a PCA church while travelling that used the PCA/OPC Psalter. This is the first time I was aware of this- it looks just like the Hymnal.
http://www.gcp.org/_thumb.asp?dh=225&dw=225&item=040210

Is it different from the Scottish Psalter in regards to wording, etc.?

Yes, quite.

-----Added 7/28/2009 at 01:54:36 EST-----

Having had about a month now to look at the new Psalter, I must say that there are a few things in it that are disturbing to me:

1. From Psalm 8: "Yet You created him to be Just less than one divine; You gave him honor as a crown and made his glory shine".

This suffers under two problems in my opinion 1)It is a flat contradiction of the inspired interpretation of this Psalm in Hebrews 2 and lends itself to an Arian reading if somehow one tries to reconcile it to Hebrews 2. I could not sing this verse in good conscience. 2) You will notice the "him" is not capitalized. Now I have never been a fan of the NKJV cpatilization of references to the divine (the same sort of idea applied in the psalter) because it leads to confusion. By not capitalizing the "he" the "translators" of this psalm are indicating they do not believe it is a Messianic reference (again contra Hebrews 2). Doubly problematic.

2. From Psalm 24B: "Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Amen, Amen, Amen." This is not found in Psalm 24. This is an unispired addition to this psalm rendering. For shame. In my opinion this is not only dangerous it is flat out dishonest.

3. From Psalm 150D: "O Praise Him! O praise Him! Allelujah! Allelujah! Allelujah! Allelujah!" Again this is an insertion into the psalm. How can people promoting exclusive psalmody not see the disingenuity here?

4. There are various other places where the historic Reformed understanding of verses has been translated away. But for the moment, I forebear.

I caution people very strongly before buying into this new psalter just because it is new. Old doesn't always mean better, I admit. But neither does new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back