NKJV??

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are two high quality single column NKJVs beginning production (hopefully for release later this year): a Schuyler edition from Evangelicalbible.com and a Clarion edition fron Cambridge.

Yes, I saw this from Evangelical Bible. Apparently they are going to start producing their own editions under the name Schulyer. The ESV with the confessions is to be the first. I was very interested to see that the NKJV is single column. It is the same text block as to the single column paragraphed edition issued a few years ago by Nelson. (They also issued a KJV single column paragraphed edition too. Predictably both have low quality covers and bindings, but the paper seems to be a little above average.)

Allan is supposed to be working on a NKJV using a Holman text block, which looks the same as Nelson Reference editions to me. I don't know what the status of that project is. But I'll have a hard time justifying the Allan price if it is red letter. I'm about 75% sure it is the same text block that I currently have in my Nelson reference edition, which has somehow held up for 10 years. If that's the case, I may opt for a rebind instead if it comes to that. The pages are a bit thicker than what you usually see now, so going that route may be worthwhile.

Here's a sample of the forthcoming Schuyler edition: http://evangelicalbible.com/documents/65-Jude-NKJV-Text.pdf

Yeah, I opted for purchasing the single-column (black letter) from Nelson when they released it and had it shipped right to Ace Bible Bindry to be sewn and covered in cowhide. Having one $150 Allan in the fleet, in a translation (ESV) I've really grown to dislike no less, is enough.

I am truly growing to like the NKJV. I used to read from the ESV (my church uses it) but the more I read the NKJV and see the arguments for the Majority Text (and Received Text) the more I fall in love with it. I have always had a hard time with the ESV, it just never flowed well to me.

Can't wait for these new editions to come out. I only have a Cambridge Pitt Minion currently and would love a well bound single column!

Will the Allan version be verse by verse or paragraph format?

AMR

AMR,

My understanding is that the Allan version is going to be the standard two column verse by verse format with center column cross references. As far as I know every one of their editions uses another company's text block, whether it's Oxford, Crossway or whoever. We've got word straight from the horse's mouth that the NKJV is going to be the Broadman and Holman (B&H) Large Print Ultrathin text block. That being the case you can pretty much book it that it will be red letter since that's all that B&H and Nelson print. Nevertheless I hope it turns out otherwise as it will be more justifiable for me to spring for this edition if it is "black letter." But for me these red letters are more readable than the fire engine red or nearly pink colors you see in many newer red letter editions. (Evangelical Bible has more photos here but since none of the shots are straight on and because they are taken from various distances, those photos are less helpful, in my opinion.) Large Print in this case is definitely a misnomer. "Large Print" keeps getting smaller and smaller! I guess "Giant Print" is what Large Print used to be.

This Holman text block is exactly the same text block as my trusty Nelson NKJV Quick Reference Edition. For many years (perhaps from the very beginning?) it has been the standard two-column NKJV reference edition. CBD and Evangelical Bible (and evidently the publisher) says it is 10 point type but I am not sure if it is even 9 point. I have a Zondervan NASB that is variously listed as 8.7 or 9 pt. and it is noticeably larger than this NKJV. However it's possible that the typeface is throwing me off as some of them look bigger to me than others (and are certainly more readable) even if they are the same size. You can click on "Additional Views" at CBD to have a look inside. About the only difference between the Holman and the Nelson Reference Editions is that the Holmans typically have much better quality covers and I think their Bibles always have sewn bindings. (But yet another glimmer of hope from Nelson is the relatively low budget KJV Reference edition I saw in Walmart today that has a sewn binding! It has a plum colored synthetic cover which of course will not suit all tastes. They had copies that were glued and others that were sewn, with the sewn ones being a little taller.)

It is the Schuyler NKJV (a project of Evangelical Bible themselves) that is going to be single column paragraphed. As seen in the available photos, it is not a reference edition but it does include the textual notes. Evangelical Bible is not to be equated with R.L. Allan. They are merely the American distributor for Allan and at last count they don't carry all of Allan's KJV editions. One can order direct from Allan if desired. I think at times it might actually be cheaper to order direct depending on the current exchange rate.

The Cambridge Pitt Minion NKJV is a two column paragraphed NKJV, albeit with much smaller print. (It's listed as 6.75/7 pt and in this case that seems to be accurate. That's way too small for me to use on a regular basis so I didn't purchase one) But despite the smaller print the Pitt Minion has more cross references, the same amount as in several of the NKJV Study Bibles like the MacArthur. Why Nelson's regular reference editions don't have the same number of cross references is a mystery to me since they would fit with no problem. Were they perhaps trying to save money on ink? :doh: As may have been mentioned earlier, Cambridge also has a Wide-Margin NKJV that has the same layout as the Pitt Minion but with larger text.

Last edited:
One of the BAD (i.e., expensive) aspects of my few years on the PB is that it has given me a taste for Allan Bibles. The KJV Atlantic Blue Longprimer, the nice red Reader's Edition ESV, the single column navy blue ESV (Christmas present from my dear wife), and soon (evidently) the NKJV!!!

I wonder if Wells Fargo would give me an equity line of credit . . .
I wonder if Jeanette will stay married to me . . .
I wonder if my kids will injure their eyes permanently from rolling them so violently . . .

I also have to fight the urge to purchase every nifty new Allan/Oxford/Cambridge bible that strikes my fancy. I sometimes worry it is a sin to have a big shelf of unread bibles. I probably need to give away some of my "bible stash" to the local substance abuse ministry or shelter. Less guilt, plus more space for new ones! I need help. ;)

I thought the wide-margin Cambridge editions e.g. the NKJV have the exact text block (i.e. the same font size) as the Pitt Minion editions. I've never compared the two side-by-side. Can anyone confirm that the wide-margin versions have larger type than the Pitt Minions?

I also have to fight the urge to purchase every nifty new Allan/Oxford/Cambridge bible that strikes my fancy. I sometimes worry it is a sin to have a big shelf of unread bibles. I probably need to give away some of my "bible stash" to the local substance abuse ministry or shelter. Less guilt, plus more space for new ones! I need help. ;)

How about I make the drive down I-12/I-10 and take some of them off your hands? :D

---------- Post added at 03:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:15 PM ----------

I thought the wide-margin Cambridge editions e.g. the NKJV have the exact text block (i.e. the same font size) as the Pitt Minion editions. I've never compared the two side-by-side. Can anyone confirm that the wide-margin versions have larger type than the Pitt Minions?

I wasn't able to confirm what size the type is in the Wide-Margin. I didn't see that noted on the Cambridge site. But their site (along with J. Mark Bertrand's review) state that it's the same layout as the Pitt Minion and the same pagination but with larger print.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back