Not Traditionally Trained For The Ministry- Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to throw in a contemporary, C.J. Mahaney. He has somewhat of an infamous statement about his education, or lack thereof.

Another contemporary is the current Pastor of the Metropolitan Tabernacle, Dr Peter Masters.

Daniel Ritchie - before you even touch the keyboard.. no derogatory comments. :p

Another contemporary is the current Pastor of the Metropolitan Tabernacle, Dr Peter Masters.

Daniel Ritchie - before you even touch the keyboard.. no derogatory comments. :p

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

However, the fact Dr. Masters trains men for the ministry himself (I presume he received some training, though perhaps not a college course), shows us that it is not the norm. :2cents:

I agree that there may need to be a move back to the old Puritan model of training, like Randy was alluding to earlier. I had the experience of good ministers who trained me before seminary, so I have seen the value of sitting under a godly teacher. In many Presbyterian denominations men are not allowed to enroll in seminary without a recommendation from their session and the Presbytery, and an internship. I have a real desire in my ministry to take a man, who has gifts, and train him in ministry, but he would still be required to receive formal training. Unfortunetly, I do not have anyone like that in my present ministry.

Stephen, you should call Jack W. I bet he has someone he could pair you up with!

Thanks, Kevin. I had never even thought about that, but it would be a great opportunity.

AW Tozer and John Bunyan didn't have formal training.

In the most recent issue of Reformed Baptist Theological Review, James Renihan argues that Bunyon's protege Nehemiah Coxe also did not have a seminary degree. There have been some historians who believed that he did but in fact there is no evidence to support this. Coxe did have, however, Doctorate in Medicine!

From the thread title I thought you were saying that you were untrained for ministry and needed help with a problem. :lol:

I personally do not believe a young person should come out of Seminary and go into the Pastorate without having worked under the care of a Pastor and Elders.

Full time ministry is hard. In fact the situation a Pastor occupies demands much practised wisdom and people skills that should be developed before one even steps into the position. People are wicked. And a niave person is not fit for dealing with wicked people. Even saved people will give you a solid run for the hills. And church people can be very good at manipulating things even better than the wicked because they know the best of both worlds.

Formal training is necessary but so is a working care under a Pastor and Elders. A candidate for the ministry should be proven first. Seminary (though it is hard) is not a proving ground.

Even saved people will give you a solid run for the hills. And church people can be very good at manipulating things even better than the wicked because they know the best of both worlds.

Too true.

Ok, you and Randy must know some of the same people I have dealt with in ministry. Have they visited your congregations? :lol:

I personally do not believe a young person should come out of Seminary and go into the Pastorate without having worked under the care of a Pastor and Elders.

Full time ministry is hard. In fact the situation a Pastor occupies demands much practised wisdom and people skills that should be developed before one even steps into the position. People are wicked. And a niave person is not fit for dealing with wicked people. Even saved people will give you a solid run for the hills. And church people can be very good at manipulating things even better than the wicked because they know the best of both worlds.

Formal training is necessary but so is a working care under a Pastor and Elders. A candidate for the ministry should be proven first. Seminary (though it is hard) is not a proving ground.

I'm in 100% agreement. I had a great pastor who taught me a great deal before I went to seminary. I'm indebted to the godly gentleman. Frankly, if I had to choose between seminary and a godly and intelligent pastor, I'd choose the pastor.

Even saved people will give you a solid run for the hills. And church people can be very good at manipulating things even better than the wicked because they know the best of both worlds.

Too true.

Ok, you and Randy must know some of the same people I have dealt with in ministry. Have they visited your congregations? :lol:

Unfortunately I have met the enemy. And it is indwelling sin within me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back